FO's - chemical makeup

I just read an article on candle soot that stated that most synthetic fragrance oils are petroleum-based. I like making soy candles to get away from the paraffin/petroleum-carbon soot issue, and am wondering where I can go to find specific info about the makeup of synthetic fragrance oils? Could a carrier oil for essential oils also be petroleum-based?

Linda--confused in my own private Idaho :confused:

I just read an article on candle soot that stated that most synthetic fragrance oils are petroleum-based. I like making soy candles to get away from the paraffin/petroleum-carbon soot issue, and am wondering where I can go to find specific info about the makeup of synthetic fragrance oils? Could a carrier oil for essential oils also be petroleum-based?

Linda--confused in my own private Idaho :confused:

Since the chemical makeup of fragrances is considered trade secret, most companies won't disclose specifically what is in their oils. The only requirement is to accurately fill out MSDS information, which doesn't ask for specifics.

That said, there are several companies making soy-based fragrance oils. Google soy-based fragrance for a few.

Regardless whether they are soy-based, there is always going to be a synthetic component in the oil. The part that makes the scent.

The only all-natural candle is going to be scented with pure essential oils (or unscented) and uncolored.

Tony

Fun facts:

Synthetic fragrances can contain as many as 600 different chemicals.

The nine major starting chemicals for synthesis of aroma chemicals are: turpentine oil, C2-C5 petrochemicals, benzene, phenol, toluene, xylenes, cresols, naphthalene and cyclopentene.

Ah, the sweet smell of benzene in the morning...

Fun facts:

Synthetic fragrances can contain as many as 600 different chemicals.

The nine major starting chemicals for synthesis of aroma chemicals are: turpentine oil, C2-C5 petrochemicals, benzene, phenol, toluene, xylenes, cresols, naphthalene and cyclopentene.

Ah, the sweet smell of benzene in the morning...

Yummy. Chemical stew!

Just as an FYI, those chemicals are used to synthesize fragrance components and are not typically added directly to an FO. And chemicals are often added at the level of a few parts per million (ppm).

There are extremely strict controls over what chemicals can be utilized in fragrances in leave-on and wash-off products as well as those destined to be used in the air and particularly those to be burned, since the residue of burning can be toxic as well. These controls and laws grow stricter by the day.

chemicals are often added at the level of a few parts per million (ppm).

A few ppm of some chemicals is plenty enough to harm multitudes of people! I think that people are correct in looking into the chemicals used to synthesize FOs... I don't think that our FDA has gone nearly far enough in forcing companies to reveal their ingredients to the general public who have blindly trusted industry not to harm them before...;)

Although I believe that most responsible companies try very hard to keep up on the lastest research into product safety BEYOND the little that is required by law, there are plenty out there who just don't care and only want to sell and make money.

I think chandlers are wise to investigate this, draw their own conclusions outside of marketing propaganda and support companies whose dedication to product safety is exemplary and well above average. Demanding MSDS is a first step - every fragrance oil supplier should have MSDS available for their products. "Trade secret" = make the customers pay more.;)