I want to use a candle jar for food storage but..

im not sure if there is anything toxic in the jar that I need to remove first. I bought this great jar at a garage sale and Id like to put spices in it. It used to be a candle jar so Im not sure how I should go about cleaning it. Do I need to boil the container in water for 10 minutes? If so can I use a pot that I still use for cooking?

please excuse my ignorance on the subject here; i know nothing about candle making. any help you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thankx in advance!!!

I'm not sure I would use it at all. My reason for saying this is that this past summer my son was making salsa & needed a few extra jars. Being a candlemaker I had cases & cases of brand new, unused jars. I gave him a case, he put them thru washing in a dishwasher, but after filling them with the salsa, they noticed that the salsa tasted like candle scent. Mind you, these had never had wax in them, but were stored where I make candles. He had to throw out all his hand made salsa.

You might try washing & rinsing in vinegar, put a small amount of spices in it. Leave for a couple of days & check to see how they smell.

Pam R

When I am reusing jars for testing, I take out all the wax, then heat in oven upside down, then wipe thoroughly with paper towel, then wash thoroughly in hot soapy water with scrubby sponge, then run it in the dishwasher and they come out sparkling clean. I would try that, then try storing some baking soda in the jar first to see what scent it may absorb. The vinegar is a good idea too. HTH...

ETA: I would run it through the dishwasher multiple times just to be on the safe side.