First Show....ummm maybe

jgcurtis1961

I was thinking of entering a 2 day Show that is done once a year in the area. It is put on by the local radio station and they have an announcer there during the whole two day event. You get a two minute spot on the radio during the event and 25 adds on the radio. Plus I would also get an add in the paper. When I first looked into it I found out that the booth fees were WAY over what I could afford ($265.00 for a 10x10 booth for a Saturday and Sunday). I put the idea out of my head since I couldn't see spending that much for my first show but the radio station that puts the show on called me this morning and offered me a booth for $150.00 ($125.00 if I don't need electricity) since I'm a home based business. I'm debating if I should do this show or not....I'm scared to DEATH being as I've never done anything like this before. I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to set my booth up or even what I would say in my adds., or even what I would say on the radio when they come over and talk to me, lol.

I've been to the event many times and its always packed. What are everyone's experiences with the farm ranch type home shows? Would the $150.00 booth fees be to much to pay? What does everyone think? Should I go for it especially since I need to get my name out there? I'm just starting out selling after testing for FOREVER and need to get my name out there somewhere. Thanks everyone!

This show sounds like it comes with a ton of advertisement for your product so I don't see where the 150.00 is out of line at all. My only advice would be to make sure you are able to service your new found customers after the show. If your are strictly a home based business you may want to consider gettting your products into a craft mall or something similar to make it easier for your customers to continue to return to your products or your hard work and effort of the show would all be for nothing. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks! I think I am going to go ahead and do it. I am currently getting my website all set up ,and will have it listed on all of my candles, so they would always have that option for reordering. I have a little under a month to get ready. Now I have to figure out how to set up my display...and how much I'll need to bring with me to the show since I've never done this before. I'll probabally be asking everyone for alot of advice between now and then.

Guest EMercier

I'm based out of my home as I think most here are as well. I pay about $185 for a two day show and it's really worth it. This show has been going on for roughly 25 years. I don't have to advertise as they do it well. I don't get some of the perks that you are going to get, but I believe it's really worth it for the exposure you'll get. As someone else said $75 a day is not bad at all. Go for it and use the links and tips that everyone else here has given. I also try to set up at home first and see if it's functional and I also try to take pictures so that I remember my set up.

WOW I didn't know they made a cd that tells you how to set everything up at a craft show. I'm definately getting that one. I also went and read the links with the tips....they have some great information. I went ahead and signed up for that show, so I'll update everyone later on with how everything went. The show is next month.