Need help with baskets... please?

cleanglow

I was contacted by someone who asked me if I'd be willing to donate some candles for an auction that they're having at a networking event. No problem, it's great exposure. I just don't know where to begin when it comes to "baskets". I prefer a much more contemporary look so the wicker type basket is out and I prefer not to use that cellopahne(sp?) stuff to cover it up.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Most dollar stores have a large selection of attractive boxes and gift bags these days. Add some co-ordinating excelsior (Easter grass) or some tissue paper and you're done. Also: flower pots, little tin buckets, plastic buckets, large mugs, kraft shopping bags...

Not sure how many you are needing so don't know if this is practical but maybe checking out decorative bowls like at Target type store in more the home/kitchen section (wood or ceramic) Pier 1 has lots of wire and other type baskets. Hobby Lobby tends to have a lot of stuff too.

You can also find serving inexpensive wooden trays, ceramic or glass platters. I made a very nice, contemporary centerpiece using a wooden tray, pillar candles and greenery. As a centerpiece it didn't require any type of covering or packaging. I can't imagine someone would not be pleased with having something like that donated. It has a very high perceived value, but in reality cost about $9 to make.

Are you sure you have to give them baskets? Some organizations will accept donations and put together their own baskets. Just make sure everything you donate has your label on it.

I personally like shrinkwrap on giftbaskets, but it can be difficult to work with. Tulle is another option you might work with. It's rather inexpensive and comes in a wide variety of colors.

I don't know if you have a "Deals" dollar store in your area, but if you like modern, I found some nice wire baskets at Deals recently. They were in assorted colors: white, black and green, if I recall. They hold quite a bit of merchandise and you can't beat the price.

I personally like cello shrink wrap for my baskets because it helps hold everything in place. As sockmoney stated, tulle is another option. Once you get it put together, post a picture! Good luck!