EO's vs. FO's for bug repellant

OFCILynn

I have yet to find conclusive info regarding using EO's vs. FO's for bug repellants. I am researching recipes for a bug lotion, lotion bars and sprays. Any great recipes that can be offered that dont have that offending scent would be wonderful and appreciated!! Also, because many of these, after full testing, I will be sending to my SIL's unit who are deployed, I dont think the guys would appreciate the lavendar scents. Any other ideas so our guys dont stink yet dont get bitten??

TIA

God Bless,

Lynn

Calendula.. aka Marigold... is said to be a mosquito deterrant. I plan on trying this myself some day since it's supposed to be so good for the skin anyways. Also, anything citrus is said to make you unattractive to bugs, and i've also heard that sage works too. It's pretty easy to get these things -then just let them sit in oil (infuse) for a few weeks then strain the oil full of good stuff and add to your products. If you try it, let us all know. -TIA!

Okay. This is just my uneducated guess. I doubt that insects perceive fragrance the way we do so I suspect it isn't so much the fragrance that runs them off. I would think it's a chemical or something in the EO that does the trick. To us a fragrance oil may smell like its essential oil counterpart but be much different to bugs.:2cents:

Thank you so much for all of your imputs!! I belived that I was going to have to venture into EO's. I dont want to make something that is just going to smell good but actually work AND smell unlike chemicals!!

Ill keep searching the net for EO's recipes for bug repellant that doesnt smell like chemicals or a womany scent!

God Bless,

Lynn

While this isn't all the ingredients, here are some of the EOs OT's puts in their blend. Maybe you could try these sometime too and make your own starting with these oils?

Lemon Eucalyptus which was recently approved by the CDC as an effective repellent, catnip, lemongrass and peppermint.