tax on shipping

Sharon in KY

Has anyone charged their retail in state customers a sales tax on shipping? My bookeeper says anyone from my state has to pay it and I need to collect on my shopping cart. I use Mals-e shopping cart and I don't see where I can change the tax to charge on the total. Anyone know how to do this? TIA

Has anyone charged their retail in state customers a sales tax on shipping? My bookeeper says anyone from my state has to pay it and I need to collect on my shopping cart. I use Mals-e shopping cart and I don't see where I can change the tax to charge on the total. Anyone know how to do this? TIA

Perhaps you misunderstood. Shipping is not taxable. You have to tax your in state customers for the product only.

Actually, it varies by state. Here, it never was.....until Jan. 1 of this year, a new change in our Sales/Use Tax Law:

"Delivery or shipping charges become subject to tax when associated with taxable sales. Delivery or shipping charges on exempt items remain exempt."

So on out of state orders, I don't tax shipping, but on instate orders I now have to :mad:.

Actually, it varies by state. Here, it never was.....until Jan. 1 of this year, a new change in our Sales/Use Tax Law:

"Delivery or shipping charges become subject to tax when associated with taxable sales. Delivery or shipping charges on exempt items remain exempt."

So on out of state orders, I don't tax shipping, but on instate orders I now have to :mad:.

Well that sucks - peep aren't going to be happy about paying tax on shipping - wth is that all about? I personally think it's insane!

Hey Sharon.. In Mals-E when you set up your cart. Under Sales tax, there is a little check box that says "Shipping is Taxable" . HTH

Thanks, I'll go in and change it now. Just raised my prices and now tax on everthing. It does suck, did we get to vote on this? Don't know why the goverment is saying it's broke cause it sure collects enough taxes. Thanks to you all......