Open House?

LynnS

I am having a Open House for candles and more.I have never had one and know refreshments etc.Not sure anyone can help but son will be here.Husband working.Anyway it is set up in dining room and they have to go through the Great Room.Should I just leave door open (storm door) or will people knock and I need to be ready to answer. Don't want a customer and have to run to open door.I assume just maybe have a small sign saying Walk In.Seems a silly question but this Open House in new to me.I always do craft shows.LynnS

First breathe! Don't over think things too much. Just make your home as inviting as possible. A small selection of refreshments might be nice, just make sure that they're not the main draw. I like them for home parties, have the hostess make them, but don't bother for open houses. I always did my open houses with my mom helping, so there was someone to get the door. If you're worried about it then make a nice looking sign for the door. Just not something hastily written and tossed on. This will be your first impression, so make sure it looks nice. And I'd still expect a few people to ring your door bell even with the sign. I haven't figured if those who do this can't read :wink2:, don't bother to read it, don't see it, or just have manners so tightly ingrained that they still don't feel comfortable just walking in.

After this, I usually have an assortment of things available for cash and carry (stuff they can take with them that night). Then I make sure I have samples of different products to try, and sniffies for available scent choices, that way I can take orders if needed. I have order forms pre-printed, all they have to do is fill them out. I have pens and a calculator available as well.

I also try to always have a sink available. I've found if they can try my scrubs, they sell very well. I usually have a bar of soap over there as well. Once they try, they sell themselves.

If you have any other specific questions, just holler. These are nerve-racking the first couple times around, but they can be lots of fun, and very profitable as well!

Good luck!

Ditto what Lindsay says. I just finished by first Open House this last weekend and I will definately be doing it again. I made more in 4 hours of my Open House then I do in 8 hours at a Fair. I had DH available to answer the door for me, but I also had a sign on the front door. Everyone knocked (except for my friends, they just walked right in). Like she said, make your home inviting and warm. Light a couple of your candles and relax. You will be just fine.

Dawn

How do you know how much refreshment to have on hand - I assume for an open house you don't expect an rsvp? Or am I wrong? And I guess for open house vs. party, no door prizes? (getting ready to do one or the other, so this info is of interest to me) :)

I made something that was simple to make so if I ran out I could replenish it quickly or easily (for my DH). I had punch and coffee for drinks and I put out a meat and cheese tray. I did offer a Valentine gift basket as a door prize and had people sign up. I just printed out slips for their name, address, phone, and email. That way they get a chance to win the basket and I get another way to add people to my mailing list.

I made something that was simple to make so if I ran out I could replenish it quickly or easily (for my DH). I had punch and coffee for drinks and I put out a meat and cheese tray. I did offer a Valentine gift basket as a door prize and had people sign up. I just printed out slips for their name, address, phone, and email. That way they get a chance to win the basket and I get another way to add people to my mailing list.

Alrightee - thanks for the help! :grin2:

ETS I do have one more question, though (geez, I feel like such a newbie again lol) - I guess you did the drawing for the basket after everyone was gone? And then did you deliver it, or did the winner pick it up? Dumb question, I know, just trying to figure how I'm going to work things. Thanks again!

WOW this is helpful.I thought I knew what I was doing till I read this.Wasn't thinking about sniffies.At shows people take lids off for candles.I wondered how people would smell the potpourri so I left a sniff on outside of bag. Might have a tart for those candles that I have in a cello bag with bow. For the greeting I am like those people who knock.Just the way I was raised.I did last week make a exception.I was desperate and car stalled.Went to a house (knew the people) and knocked.No answer so opened door and stuck my head in.Granddaughters were there but grandma was in the barn with a dying horse.It was almost 0 degrees and very windy but other than that I knock till someone answers.I have really lost out with this.I haven't been able to get it in the papers because of car problems.They(papers) want this paid for in advance.Get car tomorrow and going to take flyers to a few more towns.I live in a very heavily area where lots and lots of candlemakers so not expecting alot.I have a few invitations to send and they should get out overnight and friend is putting a flyer where she works.I have had a couple sales from there. Finally I will make a cutsie sign for door.Lots of hearts and WELCOME!!!!!!!!Type it and not just write one.When my husband gets off these 12 hours days 6 and 7 days a week I want him to check my computer why all is running together and not in paragraphs.Someone else is having the problem too. I am embarrassed!!!!!!! LynnS

The beauty of an open house is you don't get overwhelmed with everyone coming in at once. I host one every year after Thanksgiving, and people come to expect it now. If you could have a very social friend of yours who wants to help out, have them greet people at the door--you will be busy chatting and talking business that you don't want to excuse yourself right in the middle of a conversation about your product. My open house is such a family event...my poor sister, she is so helpful!

Enjoy the day, and don't forget--have change available (I forgot this my first year and my second customer/friend had a $100 bill for a $20 purchase--I was embarrassed, but she's been a steady customer, so I did something right).

Enjoy it, it's worth the effort. I had over $1100 in sales in 5 hours at my show!

I am having a Open House for candles and more.I have never had one and know refreshments etc.Not sure anyone can help but son will be here.Husband working.Anyway it is set up in dining room and they have to go through the Great Room.Should I just leave door open (storm door) or will people knock and I need to be ready to answer. Don't want a customer and have to run to open door.I assume just maybe have a small sign saying Walk In.Seems a silly question but this Open House in new to me.I always do craft shows.LynnS

If you can get a girlfriend to work with you that day, she would be the biggest help you'll ever need. It's nice to be able to ring in your sales and not be disturbed by doorbells. Some customers want to get their goods and off they go. I have a friend that answers the door, bags the product while I deal with the sales and delivering the presentation for curious customers. :)

Alrightee - thanks for the help! :grin2:

ETS I do have one more question, though (geez, I feel like such a newbie again lol) - I guess you did the drawing for the basket after everyone was gone? And then did you deliver it, or did the winner pick it up? Dumb question, I know, just trying to figure how I'm going to work things. Thanks again!

I offer to deliver the basket to them personally. Luckily the person that one sits next to me at work. :laugh2:

I have one sister who lives 30 miles and bringing a couple friends if weather is good.A friend who works but is not able to drive unless husband brings her(legally blind).One friend who has a young daughter who is into different things. This friend wants my candles but never wants to buy.She loves them but tells me over and over she gets some at Wal Mart.Another friend is going to Maine for a week to visit family.So I am pretty much on my own.I can do it.I can do it.I will keep saying that and I will do it.The one friend who gets candles at Wal Mart said her mom buys mass produced candles and gives them to her.I won't mention the company name but she rubs it in.She said 16 ounce candle is $5.00.She forgets but she had mine and one of those and mine was burning long after the 16 ounce.I just let it go and she will find out again. No more freebies.LynnS