Container Candle Problem!

I attempted to make a simple container candle which was 2.75 inches tall and 3 inches diameter.

I used:

10oz Beaded Paraffin Wax

15ml Marachino Cherry FO

3x18C Cotton Core Wick

1/2 Reddig-Glo Color Chip - Cinnamon Red

I melted the wax to 180 deg F, added my color chip and FO (whilst this was melting I preheated the glass container at 100 deg C in the oven)

I then took out the glass, poured the wax, tapped the container to release air bubbles and poked relief holes once it was 'thick' enough to do so!! Once it was ready for the re-pour I noticed that the wax had become seperated from the bottom of the glass and had formed 'bubbles' along the bottom edges :mad: However the wax was perfectly sealed to the edge of the glass around the top!!

Has anyone else had this problem and knows how to prevent it from happening again? :confused:

Thanks!!

That's normal when you use straight paraffin. It will often start separating from the bottom when you pour it into glass. Don't expect it to fully adhere. If you can slow down the cooling it may stick a little better and there will be less chance of air cavities forming as the first pour shrinks.

Here are a few tips for making that kind of candle:

1 - I doubt a 3 inch container of straight paraffin will melt across the top very well. Assuming paraffin with a melt point of 130 F maximum, you'll have an easier time with a container that's 70mm or less in diameter.

2 - You should weigh your fragrance oil rather than measuring by volume. With straight paraffin and no additives, you can try up to 4% fragrance by weight (for instance, 4g FO per 96g wax). With a small amount of Vybar 260, you can go to 6% without worries (6g FO per 94g wax).

3 - There's no need to tap the jar. If you see bubbles clinging to the sides, there's probably something wrong. 100 C is way too hot to heat the glass. The maximum should be about 150 F, or the fragrance may start to make bubbles. With the glassware warmed, straight paraffin can be poured in the 140 to 150 F range, depending on the melt point.

4 - Straight paraffin and fragrance is a thin mixture and burns quickly. Too large a wick and you'll have quite a tall flame. Be sure to have different wick sizes on hand to experiment with and figure out what makes a nice burn. Regardless of wick size recommendations you may get, trial and error is the only way to find out what works best.

Good luck!

By the way, you should be able to skip the relief holes if you ensure the candle cools slowly and isn't poured too hot. Maybe enclose it in a small box or leave it in the warm oven with the heat turned off. Nice to make things simple. Air cavities are more of a concern if the container is tall and narrow.