Shakin In My Boots About Law Suits

Jodi in Ohio

I would like to start a candle business some day, but I am having a really hard time with liability and candle making. :embarasse Can anyone relate? I mean, you can test a candle for months and come up with the safest candle possible, but things still happen. People still can be negligent and it not be your fault, but claim that somehow that your candle was "not right" and possibly win! :shocked2: There are so many sue happy people out there now that will sue at the drop of a hat. Am I too paranoid? Maybe I should drop the business idea. Is there any way of protecting yourself agains such liability issues? Just wondering. Any input anyone?

Thanks!:smiley2:

One thing you can do, of course, is to purchase Insurance and follow all the guidelines suggested...ie caution labels etc. You can wick on the cautious side ....but the reality is, you can test the rest of you life trying to "guess" how a customer is going to burn your candle and never actually KNOW how it is going to be burned. Most of us keep "marathon burning" in mind when we make our choices...KNOWING there are clients that will do that...and without ever trimming a wick.

All that been said.......it is true about any business you get in. Very few businesses are "sue-proof". I would suggest if you love this and want to do it, go for it. Life is all about taking risks....and if you elect to take none...you are not really living and will never grow. You just can't let fear dictate your decisions....but that in no way means to not be cautious.

It really is no different than driving your car. You are exposing yourself to possible lawsuits simply by driving to the grocery store (you could hit someone, they could hit you, blah blah blah). I personally would not fret about this anymore. Acquire insurance, and enjoy the business. If you let your dream slip away because of "what if" you will never acquire ANY dream. I've done some searches on lawsuits concerning product liability and candles and haven't come up with much. Relax, follow your dream.