Wick sustainer woes

I'm having problems attaching wick sustainer widgets to my wicks. Currently I am using small Mole grips to close the nipple? (sorry if that offends but it was the only word I could match :grin2: ). When I apply pressure the round plate distorts horribly. Sometimes when I straighten it the wick loses it's grip.

The commercially made ones I have appear to have a circular pressure mark just on one side. I'm seriously thinking of making a special tool. That is unless someone can guide me on this, or at least reduce my failure rate below 20%.

Ian

Hi, i know the feeling, i often have the same problem. I find that i use a pair of pliers and squeeze the top really hard (north to south orientation). I then do it again to the other half, (say east to west orientation) and then again to the first half. I then use the pliers to straighten it out, and usually (as you've done it enough on the both sides) the wick holds (well unless u pull it too hard!!!!). The wick sustainer is never beutifully straight, but i find it does it's job!!!!Anyway hope that makes sense!!!

You can also use an electrical crimper. They are available from most any hardware store, walmart, lowes, etc. The kind that is used to crimp the little insulated terminal connectors. Some have wire strippers on them also.

I use an electrical crimper made by Klein Tools that I got in Home Depot.

As Sharon says a jewelry crimping tool works well.

You can also use an electrical crimper. They are available from most any hardware store, walmart, lowes, etc. The kind that is used to crimp the little insulated terminal connectors. Some have wire strippers on them also.

Just rushing out to my toolbox in the garage. I think I have one of those electrical crimper tools somewhere.

BTW there are no Home depot, Lowes or Walmart stores this side of the pond. Asda is one of our main supermarket chains and is owned by Walmart but carries quite different lines. Boy, I wish they did a 220 volt version of the Presto pot.

Ian

I've sorted it out now. Gutted the tool cabinet and found that some old wire stripping pliers I have do the job nicely. Wick is well gripped and no distortion of the bottom disk. I'm a happy boy now.:grin2::grin2::grin2:

Ian

Ian...I hope you don't mind me saying that I love the way British people speak. I use a pliers to squeeze my wick tabs...she says with a New York accent.

I don't mind at all patience. Considering we are a relatively small island the Brits have an amazing range of accents and dialects, many areas use words or phrases specific to that region. I moved from Leicestershire to Yorkshire in the late 70's and had to learn a lot of new words.

Getting back on topic, I've done about 20 tabs today without one failure. That'll do me.

Ian