Please Explain

I would like ot know what exactly curing is and is it nessicary.

I have been making candles for months now and have only had problems with a few of them for some reason it seems the glue dot i use absorbs the scent. my candle is as white as it can be ( i dont dye them) and the glue dot is almost a rust color and the candle has no throw. These candles were made in the fall.

Curing is just letting the candle sit for a bit of time, with lid on, so that the FO and wax can bind together and whatever takes place in the wax for a better throw. Yes it is necessary - amount of time depends on your wax and the FO used. You know how they cure meat for a better flavor? It's pretty much the same concept.

Also, not all FOs work with soy no matter how long you cure. Your wick will also affect your throw either for the good or for the bad. This is why we test so much - to see what does and does not work for us.

I suggest you read through the old threads to learn more about candle making and soy in particular. Curing is a very basic concept. By reading through the old threads, you will learn alot of stuff you might not realize you didn't know and should. Good luck and have fun.

Curing is just letting the candle sit for a bit of time, with lid on (...)

Er... duh... my candles are, like, pillars... so how do I put a lid on them? :confused:

But seriously, I've been wanting to ask, how about curing pillars? Should they be kept wrapped during the curing time, or left in open air? Does ambiant temperature make a difference? TIA.

A.

We have not experienced this problem and we use glue dots also. I have noticed that in older candles that have been burned that the wick tabs sometimes have rusted... could this color actually be rust from where the wicktab grabs the wick? Are you storing the candles in boxes or in a more humid area? I have not noticed this with our palm wax candles but I have noticed at the bottom of tins that are burned over a long period of time... Just hazarding a guess...

Er... duh... my candles are, like, pillars... so how do I put a lid on them? :confused:

But seriously, I've been wanting to ask, how about curing pillars? Should they be kept wrapped during the curing time, or left in open air? Does ambiant temperature make a difference? TIA.

A.

Obviously I was referring to container candles but I would think a pillar needs to cure for some time too. How long to cure and how, I don't know since I don't make pillars.