Any one working on canes

I see alot of us are trying out hurricanes. I have been putting this off way to way. Well sort of got the idea on the round ones, have done 4 and now I want to do some square ones. Hold a mold does not fit it. Hmmm any ideas on this? The mold is 4 3/4 square and there is no way to do this from corner to corner with the notches in the wire. Anybody else have this problem or am I going crazy here?:confused:

Well, maybe there is differant sizes of these. Works fine with round mold but the lip on the bottom of square is only 1/4 inch.

Is what you are saying, you put the mold in the water before pourring? I have the chain and it stays down fine, its just getting it in the bucket.

My last one for the night (round of course) came out better than all the rest. No pits, no bubbles on picture, no excess wax on picture, smooth inside. Just one problem, picture tilted. Gesh, I think I have had all the problems, all one differant ones. I am trying to do some of these for our VFW. OK back in the pot!!! This is fun, but boy does it take patience. Thank you for your help.

Connie, I pour the wax into my mold then place the mold in my water bath. By chain I meant heavy duty chain link but anything heavy would work a can of veggies would work. Just some weight to set on top your mold to hold it down while in the water bath. Put your weight in a Tupperware type container and place the container on top your mold. I wear cotton gardening gloves to move the mold from my counter to the water bath. Donita uses several folded paper towels. You just need to find a method that works for you.

I found it easiest to use heavy duty dish washing gloves. I keep my water bath on a chair close to my table that I am working on. Get the cane all set and quickly put it down into the bath using the gloves. If you put the gloves on b4 you start your ready to transport asap....and they don't interfer with working on the cane because you can feel everything just fine. Try that!

Sharyl knows me.....I just four Bounty paper towels folded and wet and squeezed out......they don't slip and I don't burn my little fingers....and I can use them for several days.......Bounty is the only one I like....I have used them for years......Donita