Good Golly! Silicone Mold Question

Well I come to you folks with my head in my hand.

What's the secret. I beg of you.

I have some simple two piece silicone molds. Small floaters. We're talking 2 ounce of wax.

No matter what I do, the color is lighter than say a 2 ounce votive that from the SAME batch of wax. Upon close inspection of candle it appears that tiny air bubbles INSIDE (NOT ON SURFACE) the candle are causing the candle to appear lighter.

I attribute this to the candle cooling to quickly because the mold is too cool and absorbs the heat from the wax too fast. (where metal disperses the heat quickly). I can jack the wax up to any temperature you tell me to. I've tried it at temps well over 240 with the same problem. What to do? Should I turn it up even hotter?

Help?

Thanks,

Pete

It's an extra step I take in the winter time. Basement is pretty cold, molds are cold. In the summer time I don't heat the molds.

Vicky, Vicky, Vicky, what am I to do with you.:sad2: I should think it would take less time, less movement of molds and less electricity to use a heat gun or blow dryer.JMO:D

Janet

Hello! Have you tried tapping the mold? When I fill with wax I take a wooden spoon and tap the side till it jiggles like Jello. Forces the bubbles up and out. I never have a problem with bubbles doing this. I also bring them up stairs where it is a little warmer, I never heat them.

I have used the heat gun method in the past, however I found that I was wasting a lot of time doing this. I also make sand cast candles and so I set my short silicone molds in the sand and poured. The time it takes to cure increases, but the insulation factor eliminated the bubbling. Just take care not to spill the sand in the molds.