Oh Hell, Liquid Soap Or Bust

Grumpy Girl

I neutralized with borax solution but I had already added boiling water to the paste before I neutralized. I am sure I added way to much water. I did boil it down yesterday but didn't add anything else such as neutralizer to the already neutralized soap.It is a little thicker. I have it in jars right now and it is cloudy. It does look a little thicker. I am sure it just takes a few times of flubbs and then it falls in to place. :o

I neutralized with borax solution but I had already added boiling water to the paste before I neutralized. I am sure I added way to much water. I did boil it down yesterday but didn't add anything else such as neutralizer to the already neutralized soap.It is a little thicker. I have it in jars right now and it is cloudy. It does look a little thicker. I am sure it just takes a few times of flubbs and then it falls in to place. :o

Oh I ditch my first 2 attempts so you are doing good. What I do now is boil my water and add the borax in with that and add my paste to all of that. It comes out to be a thick gel which is what I want. I don't know why but if I do it the other way it comes out too thin for me. But then I was shooting for more of a shower gel than a thin liquid soap.

Now go over and sign up for the liquid soap swap ;)

I've never had it turn to water with any of the fragrances I've used so far. I still always add the borax after the soap is fully diluted. I have added it before and after the fragrance and i pretty much have the same results. Which is a gel. The fragrance does thicken the soap and sometimes as Tara said it may appear cloudy to start but it clears up nicely.

In my first batch I followed the instructions on about to the letter and my soap was opaque after I added the fragrance and it stayed that way but it was a very good soap. Haven't had that happen since.

From my experience I add the dilution water, leave it overnight. Then the next day it should all be good to go. Then I bring it back up to a good temp in the double broiler, make my borax solution with boiling water and then add it to the gel. My gel got even thicker after that. I am working on a new recipe this weekend, this time not adding the borax. Liquid soap is so fun to make.

From my experience I add the dilution water, leave it overnight. Then the next day it should all be good to go. Then I bring it back up to a good temp in the double broiler, make my borax solution with boiling water and then add it to the gel. My gel got even thicker after that. I am working on a new recipe this weekend, this time not adding the borax. Liquid soap is so fun to make.

Thanks for the feed back. I think my crock pot didn't get the temp up to where it should have been for the overnight wait. I WILL get the hang of this. I am wondering why it is cloudy this time after boiling it down in the double broiler for the second time. I think it has gotten even thicker since it has set awhile. Things are looking up. :yay:

Mine smells like unscented soap. My first few batches stunk like burnt oil--like after you cooked french fries--that smell. I have cut out the soybean oil and it's fine now. Not sure what you are using for your oils but everytime I tried soybean oil I would get that smell.