How do you test small amounts of FO?

SunshineSundries

OK - I've been rackin' my brain on how to do this. I know it sounds rather simple but I'm afraid of FUBARing it up!

I got a couple of 1oz samples from a fragrance manufacture that are my own blends but made soap safe (some of the FOs I used to blend it weren't skin safe) and a few "dupes" of FOs that I got from a supplier that went MIA awhile back and I can't find anyone that carries these scents but they are great sellers for me. So I want to test in soap and candles - the candles part I can handle (drop a 1/4 oz in a 1/4 pound of wax and done!) but it's the soaping part I'm having issues with. If I make a 1/2 pound batch and put a 1/2oz of fo in it, is it going to be enough FO to tell if it will accelerate or do some funky stuff?? I've never made a batch this small so it's new territory - most my "trial batches" are 2# as that was the size of my smallest mold. I got some smaller individual molds from the clasifieds here so I should be ok on the mold part for the small batch. My logical mind says it would be just like making a large batch but then soap making isn't always logical - especially when dealing with FOs! Also when testing FOs, is there a big difference in the process you use? I'm thinking that FOs would "burn off" quicker if I were to test using my method of oven processing than if I were to do good ol' fashioned CP. I want to make sure these FOs perform well before I make the leap into doing a co-op with it! I don't want to short change anyone, including myself!

Sorry for being so long winded! I'm just excited to be doing this and like I said, I don't want to FUBAR it up! lol TIA for your advice, suggestions, and the like...

Life & Light!

Tish

I would think you're going to know. Typically my test batch is 1# You've still got the same recipe, just a smaller batch, so you should see reactions. If anything, discoloration might be a little slower in coming. Seems that I had a batch discolor, but it took 2 weeks to stop going from a creamy whitish color to a light tan.

Thanks Scented for your reply, though it prompts another question to ask. Do certain oils really accelerate/discolor a FO more than others? I know OO can turn a greenish tinge on it's own and certain butters will effect the color of the soap just by their nature. But what I'm wondering if certain oils will "trigger" an FO to go funky more than others. Make sense?? what do ya think??

Well in that regards, I think lard tends to make things lighter. I haven't really had butters change the color of something. I notice when I use palm that it tends make things more of an ivory color (if I use a lot) and doesn't affect much when I use less. Is that what you're meaning?

The color of the fragrance can affect things too. For instance, the lilac I use is reddish purple in color. The FOs that are more yellow in nature tend to add to discoloration too.

Actually, I was thinking of the actual components of the oil/butters reacting to the FO (makeing it seize or whatever). I think I should be ok considering I'm going to test this in a OO/castor bar but I was thinking that if I do end up selling the FO someone uses it with say Palm oil or some other oil that I don't use and it goes rotten for them. I don't want to sell shoddy FOs - goodness knows there are enough people out there trying to make a buck and selling crap. I'm going to give this a whirl tomorrow, I think. It's been so bloomin' cold here that my poor little heaters can't keep up with it out in the studio! It gets to be only about 65* in the studio when it's 20* or below.

Thanks for the help though! I'll post the outcome when I get the soap tested.

Life & Light!

Tish