Found lye at Menards

elitenaildesign

I about fell over when i saw this.at OUR Menards(its pathetic) Its a 16oz container that says 100% lye. The ingredients just say "contains sodium hydroxide" and lists nothing else. So I hope this is the real deal. Its $3.79 a lb. We dont have a Lowes here sadly. I think I will still buy some online, but I read somewhere that AAA chemicals lye is only 99% pure and they had problems soaping with it. Can someone tell me differently?

hey we're getting a Menards here... our Home Depot doesn't carry it, and the nearest Lowe's is 100 miles away, so if Menards has it, that would be fantastic!! :yes:

Thanks elite! You made my day. It'll be a few months til our Menards is built lol, but I can keep buying lye from the guy I get it from now.. he's just a PITA to find when I need him most of the time. Yep.. this is good news!

I read somewhere that AAA chemicals lye is only 99% pure and they had problems soaping with it. Can someone tell me differently?

They have 2 grades of lye. The lower, "technical grade" is >99% pure and is rated for soap making. The "food grade" is a higher quality and also rated for soap.

HTH

There is food grade lye? What on earth for? I cant think of anything food related off the top of my head. :confused:

Please enlighten me, LOL!

Pretzels go through a lye bath to give them the crispy outside. Old fashioned hominy gets reconstituted in lye water. Lutefisk is white fish cured in lye... there are others but those are the ones that I remember off my head.

I love Menards! I get so many cool soap and candle making supplies there! lol I get my lye there because it's the only reasonable place to purchase lye... all the other ones are like $5 for a bottle! Home Depot is too pricey for my budget. I only go there if Menards doesn't have it, I want good quality clear wood (Menards can get kinda sketchy on that point), or it's on sale! The sad thing about HD is that we have a charge card there but only get 2 or 3 of their flyers a year. We get a Menards and Fleet Farm flyer every week in our newspaper - it's evil I tell ya!! Too much cool stuff!! lol

I love Menards too. It seems like they're definitely trying to attract females to their store. Ours had a scrapbook section (getting rid of that now), added a toiletries section, and are now adding a food section! I saw Jello No-Bake Cheesecake kits, cake mixes, taco kits, cereal, salad dressing, etc. in there.

That store has everything!