Newbie needs help with soy

Hi everyone. I recently stumbled on this site and it seems to be just what I have been looking for. Just started making candles 2 mths ago. I am using ez soy in containers w/ no additives but fo and liquid dye. My results are so inconsistent. A lot of frosting and some rough tops. I have read that liquid dyes can add to frosting but I hate to give it up b/o cost (I have plenty) and good color results. I don't know how to post my pictures yet but am working on it. Thanks for any help.

Hi, Juggy! Just wanted to welcome you to the board. Soy has a lot of variables, takes a while to get the hang of it, and inconsistency seems to be a soy trait. :) Play with your temperatures a little. Pour cooler, a little hotter; warm your jars, don't warm them; cool slowly, not so slowly... Just take good notes so you can figure out what works best! A heat gun will smooth out those tops for you. Don't give up just yet! Put it aside for a week or two if you need to, but as long as you're enjoying yourself, don't give up. (might have to give up to the frosting, though)

yes soyis a pain in the butt.. depending on your soy and the temp in your house, and temp of your jars and color of your hair (ok not really) it can do something differnt i found with my soy if i pour at like 160 it turns out pretty darn good i usually have to blast the tops with my emobossing gun to make it 'perfect'

def invest in an embossing gun or heat gun the darker the dye the more frosting you may end up with.. you'll get the hang of it then soy will do soemthing else lol.. its fun though keeps you thinking

Thanks for the help! It's so confusing. Pour hot, pour cool - I guess I need to try all of it. I'm not giving up though because it is something I have always wanted to do and I am enjoying it. Do you think I can stay with the liquid dyes and still work out all the kinks in other ways?

Noobs are our lifeblood! Welcome to soy, it can be very aggravating to work with in some ways, but in other ways it is easier. You will enjoy it more when you figure out the right combinations of FO/dye/pour temp/wicks, and then it will seem a little easier. You will find alot of info and get good help here. We also like to have fun :P

geek :grin2:

yes soyis a pain in the butt.. depending on your soy and the temp in your house, and temp of your jars and color of your hair (ok not really)

See, that's why I shaved my head! It helped with the frosting of the jars!:laugh2:

You could start using Beeswax as an additive if you want to help smooth out the tops but if you don't want any additives I find that if I pour very cool (I use EZ Soy as well - but I use some additives) 90-110 depends on the FO and how quickly it gets slushy. Also one thing that will help a little with the frosting (I use liquid dyes as well, and yes I think they increase the chances of frosting) is warming the jars slightly in the microwave (but not hotter than the wax).

Ok I meant well but I probably just made things more harder and confusing! Just keep trying new things and documenting everything, eventually you stumble onto what works for you! :)

What I do might not be the same as what Bill did that made him pull out all his hair. One thing that works for one person may not work for the next.

EZ is a great soy, but like all soys - it has its drawbacks.

Yes, it frosts like crazy, and bumpy tops are typical. But it has a great throw and is pretty easy to work with....and...it sho is ugly!

Try heating your jars, pouring slushy, make sure you cool slow and evenly...avoid drafts, and if you need to get a $20 heat gun at Wally World....Bill can tell you how to use it.

;)

The only other thing that I will caution you on with this soy, is that it can vary batch to batch from that manufacturing process and the supplier. So, once you find a wick and jar that work for you, you absolutely must test the next box of wax that you get...the wicking could be different, it may color a bit differently, etc. I know this from experience.

Welcome, and have fun!

Fern-Marie

I do plan to stick with soy. I am waiting to test burn some of the batches I have recently made. From what I have read here, I will wait about 2 weeks. If I can figure out how to work my new camera, I will post a picture here and show how much better it looks when I followed everyones tips. I am the village idiot:p when it comes to electronics.

Thanks, Juggy

I have attached pictures (hopefully) since making some of the suggested changes. I melted to 180, added dye at 175, added fo at 155 and poured at about 95. Looks a lot better. Now I just have to wait for a couple of weeks before trying them out. Thanks alot, Juggy.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/Juggy_album/PICT0113.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/Juggy_album/PICT0114.jpg:D