Hard as a rock Castile!!

brydean

I am so happy, I made my first castile over the weekend. I did 90% oo and 10% castor. I only made a 1lb. batch. I HP and just added a small amount of tea tree and orange EO. I molded it in a pringles can. When I went to cut it about 18 hr. later it was already really hard. Today I was moving my soap around and it is as hard as a rock!:yay: I was expecting it to be soft and slimy for quite some time. So far I love the feel of it also. Not to mention, even my impossilbe to please mother likes it!!

Good for you! You need to have a really good scale for 1 lb. batches. There is zero room for error on the lye to oils ratio.

e

I really don't, I've just been fortunate so far when I make small batches. I've only had one small batch turn out badly. Even that one is not zappy, just rather crumbly. It's just a "good cook" scale I got a Walmart, not even digital. But for $20, its been a good scale! I'm hoping to get a good digital this spring though!

bry, besides the risk of a lye heavy soap, not having an accurate scale means you will not necessarily get the same results when you repeat a recipe - so any research you are doing now is kinda iffy. Not to say it won't work out for you, but if you are going to invest in the oils not to mention time and energy...

Sounds like you made a nice batch! Love your EO combination. The thing with castile is that it will always be a bit slimy when you "lather" it up (lather is in quotes cause you don't get much), but that will decrease over time. Castile is best left to cure 3 months IME. Even longer is even better.

bry, besides the risk of a lye heavy soap, not having an accurate scale means you will not necessarily get the same results when you repeat a recipe - so any research you are doing now is kinda iffy. Not to say it won't work out for you, but if you are going to invest in the oils not to mention time and energy...

Sounds like you made a nice batch! Love your EO combination. The thing with castile is that it will always be a bit slimy when you "lather" it up (lather is in quotes cause you don't get much), but that will decrease over time. Castile is best left to cure 3 months IME. Even longer is even better.

I know I need a good scale, but right now I'm just doing it for myself and a few guinea pigs(eh, I mean friends:wink2: ). I have tested it's accuracy though and it is amazing accurate for a cheap non-digital scale. I also weigh very carefully and double check everything!

Most of the soap is put away to cure, but I'm too impatient not to give some of it a try!:D