Wireless thermometer anyone us it ?

I was looking on a suppliers site and saw a hand held thermometer that you just point at the wax, push a button and it instantly tells the "accurate" temp. (looks like the one you woul use in a childs ear) Has anyone used this type of thermometer and if so, how "accurate" is it ?

Jamie

I will never go back to the old way. The temp gun has really changed my experience with making candles. It is much faster and easier. Keep in mind that the gun will only measure surface temps, and the wax must be stirred well to get an accurate reading. I actually find the gun method to be more effective as wax temps change rapidly, and this gives you an instant reading. I also use it to check melt pool temps, the heat of candle warmers and tart melters, and the temperature of my walls. Just thought I would throw that last one in there.

The Infra-red thermometers are great. They have tons of uses.. of course only for temperature ;). Just as in anything else, there are many makers of these and some are good, some are not. Check the error +/- a lot of the ones I've seen are +/- 4 degrees and for candle making, I think that may be a bit to much.