measuring in grams

idacandlelady

I wanted to make a small test batch of lipbalm so I thought I would try using grams instead of ounces. I know nothing about grams . My scale measures in 2 gram increments so my question is how do I round the numbers? Say it(soapmaker) says to use 6.998 grams, do I round up to 8 or down to 6. I know this is probably a dumb question but as I said I don't know anything about grams. Thanks

Well, there are 28 grams in an ounce. It's going to be very hard for you to measure in grams if you only have a 2-g precision scale.

It won't be the exact recipe, but lip balms are pretty forgiving. I'd round using basic math - round to the closest whole even gram. If you have to do it on all ingredients, just remember that more oils will make your balm softer, and more beeswax will make it harder.

Best bet is to go to Office Depot or somewhere and get yourself a postage scale that weighs in 1 gram increments.