Cpop

funnygirl

I have been reading about CPOP and have some questions. So far I have made a couple of batches of CP and last night I did some HP to test my recipe. My HP was so ugly, LOL! But, it served it's purpose as far as testing my recipe. I came across directions for CPOP and it sounds great! A soap I can use much quicker like HP, and that is still smooth and pretty like CP. So, what are the draw backs? Can the soap really be used after cutting? I know it gets better with time, but is it really safe to use immediatly? Does it change the look at all? I read that it can cause some colors to fade over what they would be in plain CP, but that was all I found. Any info would be much appreciated! :D

Technically, CPOP should also be given a cure time as CP soap. I will use mine though in a matter of days but won't sell it. CPOP can help you to get a thorough gel in your soap if you want your soap to gel by adding that extra heat. (To get a full gel, you can also insulate your mold, place in a box, and/or wrap it with a heating pad.) CPOP can change the colors you use - whether that is good or bad is actually up to you and the color you wanted. But the smoothness should not be affected that much unless your soap overheats. Sometimes it can cause your tops to be really ashy in my experience. I wouldn't use the CPOP method on soaps with milk or honey since these heat up too easily to begin with.

I put my oven on warm (about 170), place mold in there, turn the oven off and let sit over night. I've done uncovered and covered and noticed no difference either way to the way my soap turns out or the amount of ash I get.

Speaking of ash, the first batch of CP I did went into my unheated oven with the light on. I did this instead of insulating. It looked great at first, but has since devoloped a chalky looking film. It can be wiped off, but it looks weird. Is this the ash you spoke of? My 2nd batch I did the same way, but I had a pan of water in the oven too. I didnt get that chalky look on that batch. Did I discover anything? Does a pan of water change something? Also, I am a little confused about "zap". I kept reading about people testing with their tounge for "zap". Now my soaps are very fresh! But, being the moran I am, I decided to test it. I get nothing! Tastes like soap???? Is it possible I am immune to zap? Or could my warm oven from the light have sped up the process and my soap is safe? I left it in overnight that way. I also observed a full gel in each batch. ????? Im such a newb! :P

Yep that sounds like ash. You can clean it off or just leave it. It doesn't hurt at all. It is just cosmetic.

If you don't get zapped, then that just means that the lye has turned the oils and butters into soap. You still need to cure it as chemical reactions can still be happening and more water will continue to evaporate from the bar, making it get harder. Time also makes it milder. Time is your friend when it comes to soap.

I hardly ever get zapped the next day when I unmold my soap. I think it has only happened to me once. By the end of that day, the zap was gone so I might have unmolded it a bit too soon. But if you do get zapped, give it some time - a day or so and try again. If you continue to get zapped, your soap is lye heavy and no good.

got zapped last night - some lye water on my soaps (kelsei mold, so individual soaps) and at the bottom of the mold when I unmolded but I left them on the rack and it disappeared. This happens sometimes. Especially if they overheat. This was a heavy floral so overheating is not uncommon.

For the original poster, CPOP is pretty much another way to force your soap to gel. You get the same reaction if you throw a comforter over your soap or put the soap in a cooler and create a "gelling" box. I personally dont see any difference in soaps that I cover with blankets and soaps I pop into a hot oven.

For the original poster, CPOP is pretty much another way to force your soap to gel. You get the same reaction if you throw a comforter over your soap or put the soap in a cooler and create a "gelling" box. I personally dont see any difference in soaps that I cover with blankets and soaps I pop into a hot oven.

That's pretty much why I stopped doing CPOP.