New to Soy

I heard over on the 'other side of the board' that someone over here in the 'veggie' section may be able to help me. I guess that I am wanting to become a 'veggie' to! :P

I've been making candles for about 1-1/2 years but have never used soy. I now have people asking me if I make candles using soy. I am wanting to do a fundraiser and decided to go soy containers for it. I will be using 3.25 dia X 2-4 in jars but am not sure what size wicking to use. From my research, I've read that when using soy you should go up 1-3 in wick size? Is that true?

One other question for you. Why do I want to go soy? Is it alot better than regular container wax? I've heard that it can hold more scent without leaking and that it has a good cold throw. True or just said for advertising purposes? I was thinking of trying Joy from N.G. Am I on the right track?

I thank any and all of you that respond to me! Have a wonderful night.

Joy Wax is a blend, and not 100% soy....

Were you looking to go for 100% Soy, or just a soy blend?

If you are looking for a 100% Soy, and need some pointers, PM me... I'm using NG's 100% soy flakes and can help you out if need be.

Yes, you do have to wick up with soy (I did anyway). I agree with the others, you first need to decide on the soy or soyblend. I use a 50/50 soy blend and use CD's.

As for your question "Why do I want to go soy?", only you have that answer my friend ... why do you want to go soy? Apparently it's because people are asking you for soy. From your research, you should already know the characteristics of soy ... you just have to weigh the benefits vs. the quirks.

I thought I wanted to go 100% soy but found out that it's not for me ... after testing many waxes ... I decided on a soy/paraffin blend.

Since you already make candles, you're way ahead of the game. When I started I knew nothing. There are some great suppliers who test their fo's in soy ... Millcreek, TN, KY and others. When you decide, you can get a ton of information from this board.