Non CP-soaper, trying to do a nice thing

candlebean

I have a friend that is interested in trying her hand at CP soap and I wanted to see if I could get her a basic kit or at least some starter supplies, but I have avoided the temptation (so far) to try CP, so I don't even know where to start. I could just order a random kit from somewhere, but I don't want to get her something that stinks and turn her off of it...so does anyone out in CP land have a favorite company for supplies on the east coast?

TIA everyone - hopefully together we can make her very happy :highfive:

Well, Im no expert, as I just ordered some supplies and am gonna try my hand at my first batch of CP tonight. But, I did grab some stuff from Bramble Berry for soap making. They do have a CP kit. I have used them before for my candle making, and really love their oils.

I think finding a soap making kit could be a start for your friend. Or you could buy her some Oils and Butters that are not in your local grocery store, for starters. Check out some Soap Supplier sites with recipes to see what is used most often. Then you'll have an idea of what you might want to buy. What a lucky friend !

FunnyGirl, Let us know how it works!! You can do it!! :highfive: And you'll be hooked for life!! :yay:

If you wanted to assemble your own basic starter kit, you could. But it would take some doing! Let me think...

Alicia Grosso's Everything Soapmaking Book.

Sodium Hydroxide.

Eye goggles and rubber gloves.

Thermometer.

Distilled water.

Light olive oil, 76 degree coconut oil, and lard or palm oil.

Soap-safe fragrance that is not a known accelerator.

Food colors. (Remember blue turns purple in CP!)

Stick blender.

Good scale that measures in grams.

Cardboard box and freezer paper & tape for mold, or empty baby wipes container. ;)

I'm assuming she already has good basic kitchen equipment such as non-aluminum bowl, rubber spatula, etc.

I will probably forget something major here! If I do, I'll come back and post it. :)

Agree 99%.

I did an experiment - regular olive oil gives same result as light. regular OO is fine (NOT extra virgin, though)

Not sure about using food colors, but never tried them myself so I'll keep my mouth shut on that part. Oops, well I'll consider keeping my mouth shut on that part!

I used food colors for some of my first batches. They worked fine. They are an expensive option for a serious soaper, and some will fade over time. But I try to keep it simple and use ingredients already on hand for beginners. That way if they hate soaping, they're not out any money for a big buncha oxides and such. lol