Mushroom madness!

Ok, I've been testing testing testing my 70/30 soy/para blend for about 8 months now and have driven myself nearly crazy (OK 100% crazy) :P I've finally found fragrance percentages and a dozen or so fragrances that work for me and have tested almost every type of wick and size out there. I almost gave up candle making cause no matter what I did I got bad mushrooms on the first burn (I'm only using 6-7% fragrance load) and was making the assumption that the wick was too big or the fo load too high.

I was always testing for wick size the next day after pouring to see if I was close on the melt pool. Mushrooms galore no matter what. Lately I pulled out a bunch of my one burn testers that had sat for several weeks and decided to burn them for me. Went through several burns and to my surprise, most of the wicks did not mushroom at all or very little (except the ones that were waaaayyyy too big)

Could I make the assumption that the longer cure reduces mushrooming? If so it will be a hallelujah moment! Anyone else with mushroom madness opinions/advice?

I have some mushroom madness going on too, some of my wicks that have shrooms smoke really bad when I blow them out. But some don't, even if it's the same formula. So I'm assuming that it's particular FO's that affect the size and it there's a shroom or not. I'm still in the ASSuming stage with this though!

Lately I pulled out a bunch of my one burn testers that had sat for several weeks and decided to burn them for me. Went through several burns and to my surprise, most of the wicks did not mushroom at all or very little

I would make the assumption that you need sharper scissors, because the mushrooms might be from trimming the wick and leaving the top in shreds for the first burn.

I would make the assumption that you need sharper scissors, because the mushrooms might be from trimming the wick and leaving the top in shreds for the first burn.

I bought a brand new pair of super sharp hair cutting scissors and also use a clean-cut wick trimmer...I discovered when I first started the importance of a sharp trim, but thanks anyway :grin2:

I try to test under the worst conditions - assuming most customers won't do the right thing, no matter what - & my zinc wicks mushroom badly during marathon burns. I always advise that a mushroom is a signal to blow it out & trim. I use nail nippers (manicure trimmers) to trim my wicks & they work far better than any pair of scissors, cause the cutting head is so small & sharp & doesn't bend the wick as it cuts. Not the answer to your question, but a helpful hint!

Susan.

I think you may have hit on something good. I do believe wax hardens more over a period of time at least for the first few weeks...no facts nor scientific reason or explanation...just what I think. And, if the wax is a bit harder to burn, maybe that is why they don't mushroom so much? Keep trying and see if this works all the time or just occasionally. It would be interesting if this worked out. Beth