No Frosting Soy Formula

Ilona

These pics go along with my post on how I've virtually eliminated frost from my soy candles without crisco, or vibar etc...

Here is the link:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40852

As for these photos, I took them tonight with what little I have remaining after xmas and my siblings raid of my candle stash. These are candles that I am testing out new wicks in (the Wick It Premier Line, they are doing v.well) So the ones that are burned you can see there is almost or nothing of frosting on the candles.

The green candle has a teeny spot that is the only crystalized formation, and I had that candle going on a long burn for appx 6 hours to test wick safety. Normally a burn like that would have pits and be completely frosted, but I was shocked to see it set up so clean.

Here is the first set. They were both lit for about 3 hours and has a full 1/2 inch melt pool, so the wax was completely melted to the edge and has had a chance to solidify. These tests were last week so any frost would have already formed by then....

post-4531-139458416429_thumb.jpg

post-4531-13945841643_thumb.jpg

post-4531-139458416432_thumb.jpg

post-4531-139458416433_thumb.jpg

This next set are unlit candles where I did not heat the containers just to try and see what happens. Surprisingly no frost again.

The purple one in this set shows my unfigured out frost issue. This candle was poured in one of my moms jars and it was just crappy glass. I hit the top and sides with a heat gun to try and fix it up (tops still not smooth, I'm awful at heat gun!) and I hit it pretty good, melted a good 1/3'' pool on the top. I was expecting major frost because if I even hit an untreated 135 candle with the gun for 2 seconds it frosts like crazy...but the two photos show the ONLY frost that appeared. Not bad eh?

I pour slushy and tempered, so they are not as interesting as the burn resuls one, but you can see that they look pretty frost free. especially since I didn't heat up the containers.

Oh and the swirls you may see are just the reflection of my flash as I did this all tonight. I'll try and get some daytime pix.

post-4531-139458416434_thumb.jpg

post-4531-139458416436_thumb.jpg

post-4531-139458416437_thumb.jpg

post-4531-139458416439_thumb.jpg

OK here are the last of my bunch of testers. The blue tart was poured not slushy as I save what is left in the container after I pour probably poured @ 130-140ish. It still came out frost free.

The light purple one has mica powder in it so it has teeny sparkles and not frost or air bubbles. The pink is my recycled Yank** container. If you know how to get that enamel off ley me know. ;)

The last one is a picture of a ecosoya 135 with no additives. Just on its own. I poured it slushy, tempered, with heated glass, and you can imagine my shock when I woke to discover this pattern (is it Jesus?) on the glass.

I'm sure anyone using soy can relate to these mystery frostings. Why they happen? WHo knows.

Anyway, that is why I am posting all of these. Hopefully someone can take what I've found and make it even better. That's how it works right? Till we find a way to have a 100% frost free soy candle. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

Anyway I hope this helps.

I'll do my best to keep details up on here. I've yet to attempt a black candle. *gulp*

Have a great new year!

ilona

post-4531-139458416441_thumb.jpg

post-4531-139458416442_thumb.jpg

post-4531-139458416444_thumb.jpg

post-4531-139458416445_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

OK here are the last of my bunch of testers. The blue tart was poured not slushy as I save what is left in the container after I pour probably poured @ 130-140ish. It still came out frost free.

The light purple one has mica powder in it so it has teeny sparkles and not frost or air bubbles. The pink is my recycled Yank** container. If you know how to get that enamel off ley me know. ;)

The last one is a picture of a ecosoya 135 with no additives. Just on its own. I poured it slushy, tempered, with heated glass, and you can imagine my shock when I woke to discover this pattern (is it Jesus?) on the glass.

I'm sure anyone using soy can relate to these mystery frostings. Why they happen? WHo knows.

Anyway, that is why I am posting all of these. Hopefully someone can take what I've found and make it even better. That's how it works right? Till we find a way to have a 100% frost free soy candle. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

Anyway I hope this helps.

I'll do my best to keep details up on here. I've yet to attempt a black candle. *gulp*

Have a great new year!

ilona

Love the color on your blue candle! If by chance you still have that post saved on eliminating frost from soy candles could you repost it back up please? I would love to know how you did it:)