Smelled a cheap candle at one of the "big stores" today.

It was really strong. It was some kind of hazelnut truffle. Its hard to believe the price was so low for a 16 oz candle. It wasn't soy of course. Even though it was strong, it smelled so different from my strong soy candles. Like an artificial smell. Soy candles smell so natural. Has anyone else noticed this? I admit, the better quality parraffin, like Village and Yankee do smell really good. I was almost tempted to buy one of these candles just to see what the hot throw was like. It is really hard to find soy candles in my area.

That is why I started making my own.

My friend talked about getting a bigger candle at a store and it was so good.She said it was Creme Brulee'.Well I have plenty of those and she is a good customer of mine.So a week later she said "I have to go back and get one of those Creme Brulee candles".I didn't say a word but now you have me thinking "It isn't soy".I think that candle was $3.50 and seemed to be about 16 ounces.She said it was almost 2 times bigger than my 8 ounce.Oh well a week later she needed another.Mine would still be burning.:yay:

LynnS

Yes, Ezsoy soy is the cheapest priced wax I have seen. Why are soy candles so much more expensive to buy? I don't know if Yankee makes soy candles, I'm sure they do, but I haven't found them locally. The only ones I have found locally are Root candles which are very expensive, but good candles.

This is just a thought, I could be wrong.

Parrifin does cost more but isn't it easier to wick, to color and less picky about f/o's that are compatable?

Soy is some what harder to find f/o's that will throw, not to mention can be a pain to color. Think about how much $ goes into testing supplies and pain relievers. Just a headache to work with some times.

Just in my area, pure soy candles are rare and hard to find. So just like any rare and hard to find artifact, it's more pricey. If people really want a soy candle, they need to pay for my headaches, lol. :grin2:

I could be wrong. :undecided

Yes, Ezsoy soy is the cheapest priced wax I have seen. Why are soy candles so much more expensive to buy? I don't know if Yankee makes soy candles, I'm sure they do, but I haven't found them locally. The only ones I have found locally are Root candles which are very expensive, but good candles.

I'm almost positive that Root candles are a Parasoy blend. Maybe someone else will know this for sure. As far as soy being more expensive it is much harder to mass produce a quality 100% soy candle there for it is more of a niche market and can command a higher price. There is Bean Pod candles which are soy and mass produced but there has been some speculation on here as to the real ingredients in their candles.

I get a much better throw when I only use 1 oz FO per lb. If I use more, the hot throw is weaker. I cure for 6 weeks. I have tried 1.25 and 1.5 oz FO per lb and didn't get a good throw, even after 3 or 4 weeks of curing. I have only ordered from BCN, but 1 oz works better for me.