Using Pretabbed wicks vs. making your own

All you have to do to make your own is purchase your wicks and tabs then dip the wick in your wax after it melts but before you add anything like color, fo etc to it. You might have to do a few coats..coat it/ let it cool then coat it again. However for me it is sooo much easier to buy them pre tabbed and they really don't cost more when you take into consideration you have to purchase the wicks, tabs and then also use the wax to coat them and the time it takes to do that.

We mostly buy pre-tabbed 6" wick assemblies, but not everything we do needs a 6" wick, so we save the trimmings and tab them ourselves. Because they are prewaxed, we don't have to prime them.

We do use some rolled wicking for the "oddball" molds and sizes we make and we do prewax those wicks with whatever wax we are pouring. It's a PITA, but unavoidable...

I WISH that we could get the wicks we like in longer assemblies than 6" ... we have molds which are much taller than that and it really throws a monkeywrench into our plans to have to wick them differently than their shorter counterparts.

I am sure that buying rolled wicking and assembling it ourselves would be less expensive, but we make a lot of items in standard sizes, so it wouldn't be cost effective for us to sit around and prime, tab and trim all those wicks! Much faster to use the assemblies - time is money and the amount of time saved on labor is well worth the extra cost of the assemblies.:D

We mostly buy pre-tabbed 6" wick assemblies, but not everything we do needs a 6" wick, so we save the trimmings and tab them ourselves. Because they are prewaxed, we don't have to prime them.

We do use some rolled wicking for the "oddball" molds and sizes we make and we do prewax those wicks with whatever wax we are pouring. It's a PITA, but unavoidable...

I WISH that we could get the wicks we like in longer assemblies than 6" ... we have molds which are much taller than that and it really throws a monkeywrench into our plans to have to wick them differently than their shorter counterparts.

I am sure that buying rolled wicking and assembling it ourselves would be less expensive, but we make a lot of items in standard sizes, so it wouldn't be cost effective for us to sit around and prime, tab and trim all those wicks! Much faster to use the assemblies - time is money and the amount of time saved on labor is well worth the extra cost of the assemblies.:D

candlewic allows you to custom build your wicks with your choice of tab, wax primer coating, and length up to 9"

Thanks, Carrie, but they do not carry the kind of wicking we prefer. I am in contact with a couple of suppliers who do carry the CDN wicks we like to see if they can come up with an affordable solution. I don't want to have to purchase 1,000 wicks of only one size just to get a 9 incher!