Is my batch screwed?

SoapDiva

So, this is #3, the first two soaped wonderfully, textbook even.

This one, did not:

Castor 4.53

Coconut 9.08

PK 13.62

Shea 9.08

Grapeseed 9.08

Lye 6.48

Water 16.07

I brought it to trace, took out a spoon of liquid to set aside for a swirl (the FO is Dutch Chocolate and Coconut, I know it will go dark, so I was going to do an unscented swirl).

I discovered what "seizing" means. I stopped blending, otherwise risking SB destruction and squashed the soap into the mold. I spread the reserved stuff on top.

The mix started to get hot right away and I think what is called "gelling".

I was tempted to take the SB and blend right in the mold, reason being is when I was slopping the mix into the mold I noticed some creamy spots that were not going solid.

I'm concerned that it did not get mixed properly.

Will this set up right do you think? I have it all tucked away now, doing its thang.

Thanks for your wisdom!

:D

I have heard that coconut FO can seize, and I know the chocolate soap I made awhile ago had oils floating on the surface for a few days. I just left it molded and it reabsorbed. I dont know about this batch though. What were your temps starting out? Could have overheated.....I guess we will have to wait and see. Sounds like a candidate for a rebatch right now.

Hmmm, must be the coconut, my supplier told me that the Dutch Chocolate soaps wonderfully. I've only ever used the coconut in a lotion stick.

The FO seems to have soaked back in, in the worst spots, there is a bit on the top on the side.

I will keep it molded for a few days and see what happens.

At least this is a learning experience. I may learn how to rebatch sooner than I wanted to!

ETA: My temps were around the 100 mark when I soaped.

I'd say it's the FO. The going immediately into gel sounds like a picky FO - I've had a few do that before. I tend to stop SBing before I add fragrance - I just stir as I add FO slowly.

The lye looks fine at 6% discount, and you didn't "discount" water too much. MMS calculator says its max water is 17 oz - could be your supplier meant it soaped well at full water. It's amazing what one more ounce of water can do.

Don't you just hate learning experiences.... sigh....

I see some rebatching in your future. If that should happen again, don't try to get it in the mold if it's really solid. Continue to cook it (HP, crockpot or oven, I've even done it on the stove top over very low heat). After a bit, it will start to loosen up and go through the normal HP process. You can even add sugar after the fact, at the rate of 1 TBS pp of oils. This helps to keep it more fluid. I've even added more water after the fact to compensate for the water discount I took and the soap turned out just fine.

another thing new soap makers are forgetting to do is let their oils and lye water cool to room temp before mixing them together. Just out of curiosity, what temp were your oils and lye water before you mixed them together?

Unfortunately it's not just new soap makers :embarasse

I'm by far a new soaper and I rarely allow my lye/water mixture or oils to cool all the way to room temp. It's been awhile since I took the temp of either before mixing together, but I bet it's never lower than 90-95 degrees (farenheit).

I would never suggest you go below 90 degrees for a regular normal CP batch, unless you know what you are doing.

If I can leave them at room temp then what is the point in going by temps at all??

Many people don't take temperatures at all.

Keeping everything around 100F just takes one set of problems out of the equation when you're first starting out (usually). Too hot and it can trace too fast, too cool and you can have problems with not mixing things as well as you can.

Some people just melt their hard oils, dump in their liquid oils, then use their lye water right away when it's hot (that's called room temp cold process).

Others just melt hard oils, wait until their lye doesn't feel really hot to the touch. (That's me, I probably soap in the 110-120F range)

Eventually you find a way that works for you. I actually have the least problems if my lye is really cool, even if my oils are on the high side.