Tapioca Flour vs. Tapioca Starch ?

blazerina

Howdy all- hope your Christmas was great! While out and about I found some additives that would be easilly accessible to me... one of them is Tapioca Flour. I bagged some up (it's sold bulk) and THEN I noticed they also had Tapioca Starch. I know the starch is used in a lot of products... does anyone know how different the Flour is? It was 1/3 the price too!!

Since I bought some, I used it in my Sugar Scrub gifts for the ladies in my family. I didn't get a chance to use any from this batch on myself- yanno... Christmas Eve last minute kind of stuff! I did test a bit of scrub with it on my dry arm and it did seem to feel smooth, silky, dry, even though my scrubs tend to be on the 'wet' side. So I continued with the addition of it to my recipie. Only thing is i don't know what it will do after it sits for a week. I'm sure I will find out... it's great having giftee slash testers all in one, lol. I just wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head how different the Flour and Starch might be from eachother. I don't even bake so I really, really couldn't even guess!! I can tell you that the texture had a nice dry grit compared to the Baking Soda for instance. I expect the results to be that it cuts the greasyness. I'll keep ya'll posted!

• 5 years later...

Tapioca Starch : Tapioca Starch can be substituted for Potato Starch and Corn Starch. Tapioca starch does not contain any impurities to mask light flavors. It produces a clear film and gel and provides a lower viscosity while hot.

Tapioca pearls : Tapioca pearls, available in a variety of sizes as well as colored tapioca pearls are essential for the delicious favorite dessert pearl pudding tapioca. The “Fish Eye look of cooked Tapioca Pearls are also used in many refreshing Asian beverages.

------------

Gluten-Free Flour