totally soot free candle wick???

I do see what you are saying about losing some of the undertones.....but thats where your testing comes in play. I send out close to a hundred testers and see what people have to say about them....if I get positive feedback about how rich the scent smells....I add it to my line. As for the whole "gimmick" thing........what is .5 oz.times 3????? = 1.5 oz! Im telling the truth. By the way, about the whole "cheap oil" thing...Im probably using some of the same oils you are..... in fact I know I do!;)

As for the whole "gimmick" thing........what is .5 oz.times 3????? = 1.5 oz! Im telling the truth.

I still don't understand. You are comparing the FO load in your candles to a "standard" that does not exist. How can you say this is legitimate advertising? :confused:

I don't know where the .5 oz/lb came from either, but most people believe that to be true. Why?

The long-time chandlers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the .5 oz/lb was considered the standard because:

a) that's what the old candlemaking books recommended

B) until recently there weren't a lot of companies producing candle FO's, so everyone was using the same stuff and following the manufacturer's recommendation of .5 oz/lb

and

c) highly-scented candles have become popular only in the last 10 years or so. Before that, people were content with .5 oz/lb, so it became the standard and was never questioned.

The long-time chandlers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the .5 oz/lb was considered the standard because:

a) that's what the old candlemaking books recommended

B) until recently there weren't a lot of companies producing candle FO's, so everyone was using the same stuff and following the manufacturer's recommendation of .5 oz/lb

and

c) highly-scented candles have become popular only in the last 10 years or so. Before that, people were content with .5 oz/lb, so it became the standard and was never questioned.

Maybe... just maybe old candle making books said that... I doubt it but lets say maybe, that would not be the industry standard the "industry" would be the companies that made their living with candles and you cant tell me they all use the same amount of oil for every scent of candles they make.

Maybe... just maybe old candle making books said that... I doubt it but lets say maybe, that would not be the industry standard the "industry" would be the companies that made their living with candles and you cant tell me they all use the same amount of oil for every scent of candles they make.

Ditto, Bruce: I have a few old candle books from the 70's and a few published in England, seems they used "slivers" of dye blocks or in one instance, "3-4 drops" of scent. anyway, interesting debate:)

I think that there are many consumers out there that have bought into the whole "triple scented" thing at least once. After all, it has been around a long time and there have been many people that make candles latch onto the "phrase" in hopes it would define their candle in the consumer's mind as a stronger scented candle. There have been equally as many consumers find out after their purchase that their new triple scented candle did not smell any stronger.

There are also many of us that have used or continue to use 1.5oz per lb that choose to NOT say "triple scented" for many reasons.

It took me a lot of wax, fo and frustration to come to the conclusion that the only thing that makes a stronger scented candle is stronger fragrance oils NOT more fragrance oil. Duh!

Bruce's point about going to the manufacturer and asking them to formulate stronger oils at a higher price point is what finally worked for me. That is not to say that you can't "go through" the entire library of fragrance oils available through the suppliers and find the lucky ones that are stronger. It takes awhile. Obviously the raw ingredients in some fragrances cost less to manufacturer if you find a "strong" one from a supplier that buys at a lower price point.

Please know that paying more does not guarantee a "stronger" oil from a supplier. There have been suppliers that have marketed their "complex" oils as stronger when in reality they have given them a new name and just widened their profit margin.

Trial and error is the only way to get what you want. It would be SO EASY for us all just to use 1.5oz per Lb and have a kick ass candle or just pay more and buy from suppliers that charge more to get better/stronger oils. It doesn't work that way, or we would all be doing it. I really don't know anyone that wants poorly scented candles.

Merry Christmas Eve everyone~~

M

Maybe... just maybe old candle making books said that... I doubt it but lets say maybe, that would not be the industry standard the "industry" would be the companies that made their living with candles

Oops, I didn't realize she was asking about "industry" standards. I thought we were talking about hobby candlemaking. Sorry! ;)

I no longer have my old candle books, but I'm certain they both said not to use more than .5 oz in order to avoid burn problems. My first supplier used to sell their FO in .5 oz bottles, and it was perfect for hobbyists like me who don't want to buy in bulk!

I do see what you are saying about losing some of the undertones.....but thats where your testing comes in play. I send out close to a hundred testers and see what people have to say about them....if I get positive feedback about how rich the scent smells....I add it to my line. As for the whole "gimmick" thing........what is .5 oz.times 3????? = 1.5 oz! Im telling the truth. By the way, about the whole "cheap oil" thing...Im probably using some of the same oils you are..... in fact I know I do!;)

Ok I have a silly question for you.

Out of those 100 people (testers) that you send these candles to test, do you send them a sheet and on that sheet ask specific questions OR do you just ask them to burn them and then tell you what they think?

I ask because alot of people dont know what "hang up" means among other things.

Ok I have a silly question for you.

Out of those 100 people (testers) that you send these candles to test, do you send them a sheet and on that sheet ask specific questions OR do you just ask them to burn them and then tell you what they think?

I ask because alot of people dont know what "hang up" means among other things.

Tester sheets get posted once in a while. I found this one re-posted by Trish in October:

Name of tester:

Date candle given for testing:

Date tested:

Size of candle: What type of container?

Room it will be tested in? Is it the right size room for testing this size candle? Reccommend ______ size room for this test.

Approx size of room? Small Medium Large

How high are the ceilings? Standard, High, Cathedral ceilings

Is the candle appealing to look at?

Cold throw: Heavy Medium Light

Comments on cold throw:

Is the wick centered?_____ Time test started_______

How long after lighting did you notice the hot throw?

How close were you to the candle?

Does the scent fill the room of testing?

Does the scent travel into other rooms? How soon did it greet you in other rooms?

Full melt pool was achieved in______ hours. Was not achieved_________ Explain.

Did the wick mushroom on the first burn? Second burn?

Comments after three to five hour burn time.

No scent throw

Hang up of wax on side of container,

Full melt pool never reached,

Tunneling

Off center wick

Soot

Container is very hot.

Flame drowned

Flame too large

Flame too small

Others!

Hours of first burn________ second burn__________

Was this candle Marathon burned? Results?

Did other people comment on the candle?

Date test was completed?

Grade candle on scent throw: Cold_______ Hot______

Grade candle scent: Popular, Okay, Didn't like it, hated it!

Final comments for this candle?