Improving Scent Throw

I use EZ Soy to make my candles and I was wondering if there was any kind of all natural additive that can be used to improve especially hot throw but cold as well. I use 6% FO and would rather not increase that. I have a one bedroom apartment and my candles can scent the bathroom nicely but not the open kitchen/living room area of the apartment. Or am I asking too much?

TIA

Soy just sometimes needs an extra boost of the fo usage rate to throw well. Just the nature of the beast. Not saying you can't get great throw at 6%, but many soy wax mfrs recommend 1.5 oz. of fo per pound.

A lot depends on the fo, too. Strong, heavy, "perfumey" types will throw better at a lower rate. On lighter scents, you'd have to use more to achieve a comparable throw, natch.

Hope that helps. Oh, and yes, it is VERY possible to get throw from a soy candle that will scent a room larger than a john. lol :wink2:

Well it will scent my bedroom too, not just the powder room :). My living room/kitchen/dining room is kind of one big space. And I will get 'whiffs' of scent it's just not scenting as strongly as I would like. But increasing to 9% will up my cost and I'd rather not do that if I didn't have to. :)

I was hoping there was an additive that would help with the throw, but I guess that is just wishful thinking!

I too use Ezsoy and FOs from BCN. I made first test candles 6 weeks ago using 1 oz FO per lb. I tested weekly after 2 weeks of curing and wasn't getting a hot throw. Today, I tested them at 6 weeks of curing and they are throwing strong. I also made some with 1.25 oz FO that have cured for 3 weeks. These are not as strong as ones I made 6 weeks ago with 1 oz. I don't know why it took so much curing, but it did. I am going to go back to 1 oz and just let them cure a long time. I don't sell, just for gifts and myself. Also what wicks, jars and FOs are you using?

I use CDs and ECO wicks, I'm trying to just stay with CD's but finding that I'm better with the ECO at getting the right wick on the first try. I use the FO's from BCN and their 8oz Jelly Jars.

I probably only cure a couple days because I'm mostly testing the wicks, but at the same time I noticed my HT isn't as strong as I would like it to be, it's good but I wouldn't say it's GREAT or OUT OF THIS WORLD! I've tried adding BW and I noticed no change with the scent throw at all.

I add the FO at 160-170 a little hotter than I was at first (I used to add at 140-150), stir good several times, wait until it's slushy stir again and pour. Tap jar to release any bubbles and let it sit over night, cap it the next day (usually about 20 hours later) and then wait a day or two (depending on my schedule) and test the wick and scent.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

There are many factors that can affect the fragrance "strength" of a candle, and then there are even more factors to consider when using soy! I always consider first of all the type of FO - some scents are just light and won't knock you out due to the nature of the fragrance. Next I consider the quality of the FO, the better ones throw well with 3/4 - 1 oz usage. Lastely, I consider the amount of FO used. If I have to use over an oz, I don't carry it - as most of the FO I use cost more and it would not be cost effective to make them large scale. Another thing I would add - some scents MUST cure in soy. Give them two weeks, especially if they are spicy or a warm/heavier scent. Another word of advice - when it comes to strength of throw, use testers besides yourself! I can't smell diddly when I come in from my shop - I have testers that I trust who all have different types of homes and burn in different conditions.

when it comes to strength of throw, use testers besides yourself! I can't smell diddly when I come in from my shop - I have testers that I trust who all have different types of homes and burn in different conditions.

I already do that. I can't smell anything anymore unless it's very very over-powering strong. And even then sometimes I don't. My boyfriend and his family are my smell testers.

Oh forgot to add, I also used 1/2 oz beeswax pellets per lb. I don't know if this helps with scent or not, but it did make smoother tops.

My experience with BW in 415 or 415/402 blend is that it does helps the cold/hot throw, along with hardening the wax and helping with the tops. It also will raise the melt point, since BW typically has ab 150 MP.

geek

Maybe I should try a different brand of BW. I don't remember off-hand the % I used (don't have my notes with me) but I believe it was 1% and 2% and didn't notice any help whatsoever with the throw. In fact I thought it was worse so I stopped using it.

I do the same as you and use CD 12 or CD 14 in 8 oz jj. I am not having what I would call really great throws. I would like a Yankee or Village candle throw, but I'm not getting it. The Spiced Cranberry has been really hard for me. Took forever curing to get a hot throw. I used 1.5 per lb for tarts I made 3 weeks ago. I think this was too much FO. I am not getting any hot throw in tarts from SC. Autumn Spice is throwing great in tarts. The SC tarts actually had a little smoke from melt pool. I think that is a heavy oil and 1.5 oz was too much. If you come across any BCN scents that throw quick and strong, keep me posted, and I'll do the same.