Determining Style of unmarked wax

Hi- I've made tarts so far with a few different waxes that I purchased new myself. My question is, how do you know what to do with a slab of wax that is unmarked? I picked up what looks to be a two lb chunk from a thrift store that rescues cats. People donate stuff to them and they sell it and feed and house cats that are about to be put down from the humane society. Very admirable I thought and I wanted to experiment with different waxes so I picked it up. Though i'm no where near an expert, it does seem to be a harder type wax. I'm interested in making everlasting type candles and then of course the tarts. With tarts it's simply a matter of throw. Where as everlastings, balloon candles and water candles might be more particular in what their structure requires. So is there anyway to 'read' certain characteristics of it to see what it is intended for? Are there any obvious signs? I know i'm going to have to just test, but I guess i'm thinking of longevity issues and such if I make these as gifts.

ETA: If i had a candle thermo I spose I could kind of read at what temp it melts...but I don't. (yet) Maybe I should wait until AFTER Christmas to try it out <wink-wink>

Thanks so much for any info!