Can you force Gel after the fact?

Kymber

I made goats milk soap today in a slab mold....set it in the oven (didn't turn oven on before or after) and threw a towel over it and left for town. Got home and it didn't gel to the edges. I hate when it does that! Anyway can I turn the oven on about 170 and force it to gel the rest of the way???

Ho now - I did it successfully (well pretty successfully) 2 days after the fact when I discovered my log had only partially gelled!. So I would say yes - but beware of overheating because if the outside is hardened it will crack if it feels the need to expand... I would say to definately preheat the oven and turn it off before sticking it in - since you need heat on the outsides only I would think htat would do it.

When I did it the corners ended up a bit odd and it had a kinda crackly "skin" look which I planed off, but the rest of the log was perfect!

Yea I tried it and it didn't really work very well......it gelled to about 1/2" from the edges. Major irritation since GM usually doesn't even require insulation to get it to gel. Oh well next time I will set it in a "warm" oven and cover it with a towel and see if that does the trick. I for some odd reason have trouble getting my slab molds to gel completely to the edges. Started putting them all in a warm oven and that helped with most. But didn't want to overheat this since it was GM. Oh well...try again!