anyone using Microcrystalline wax

I use micro for a candle I call WOWcandles (Wax on water) not sure if it's gonna work just yet! I have been playin around with several waxes for the past year, with different melt points to find the right one. "I need strength" is it, "The higher the melt point the stronger the wax". I pour the wax into water, around and away form a 1 1/4 x 2"x10"-12" taper to form walls. I've got some Vybar haven't tried it yet. I found a Cal-wax product that worked very well, but it's pricey. Any suggestions?

post-5819-139458415112_thumb.jpg

I use micro for a candle I call WOWcandles (Wax on water) not sure if it's gonna work just yet! I have been playin around with several waxes for the past year, with different melt points to find the right one. "I need strength" is it, "The higher the melt point the stronger the wax". I pour the wax into water, around and away form a 1 1/4 x 2"x10"-12" taper to form walls. I've got some Vybar haven't tried it yet. I found a Cal-wax product that worked very well, but it's pricey. Any suggestions?

Micro wax is not a cheap wax. I have not bought any for a while but if you can get it in the 1.30-1.50 a pound I would think that would be a good price.

You would want to find a high mp for that also. Like micro 180. That would make your wax hard but not brittle. I think I busted up all my "wow" water candles and remelted the wax to use for other candles, but I did have some cool looking shapes. I will have to make some more maybe in a week or so.

Bruce

I assume the objective is to prevent that design from melting from the heat of the candle. Micro seems way too expensive to make those things out of. Also the melt point can be a bit of an illusion. It's often softer than regular paraffin and has a much less distinct melt point. Even if it doesn't liquefy, heat could soften it a lot.

Have you tried a high MP straight paraffin like IGI 1260 or Candlewic 5560? You could combine it with a hardener like Universal Additive and/or maybe add micro if you need to make it more pliable. It's hard to guess what will work with your design but there's a thought.

I assume the objective is to prevent that design from melting from the heat of the candle. Micro seems way too expensive to make those things out of. Also the melt point can be a bit of an illusion. It's often softer than regular paraffin and has a much less distinct melt point. Even if it doesn't liquefy, heat could soften it a lot.

Have you tried a high MP straight paraffin like IGI 1260 or Candlewic 5560? You could combine it with a hardener like Universal Additive and/or maybe add micro if you need to make it more pliable. It's hard to guess what will work with your design but there's a thought.

I think the big problem would be making them shippable. I wouldn't want to use all mirco wax but, some added to a high mp wax would not hurt a thing.

Hey my carving wax works great for making these things. Mines straight wax but I know there are plenty of carving waxes out there that have micro in them. Most carving waxes are around 140mp, which might be too low for these things, but its always worked for me.

I don't think his worry will be to make sure the design will not melt, there should be enough area in the center for the heat to escape, like a hurricane candle.

Bruce

Never used microwax itself, but i use microcrystalline hard which is a candle additive. You only use a small amount (about 1%) and it makes straight paraffin stronger, have a higher melting point and burn longer!!! I use it for m chunks and it works great, not much bleeding of the colour at all!!!I may be wrong, but i reckon this microwax may just b wax w microcrystalline hard already in. Either way, may be worth giving it a go. You can get it from these sites (in the uk, but prob ship worldwide).http://www.soapbasics.co.uk/www.candlemakers.co.uk

As you use it in such small quanties it works out v cheap!!!