Dixie cups?

I'm scrapping the plastic votive molds. Darn things. I finally get the bottoms almost smooth and the tops cracked. Anyway, I found a thread on here about using Dixie cups as votive molds. I just wondered if there was a straight Dixie cups. I think they are all tapered but I'm not sure. Anyway, the plastic molds are going. I don't like them and am not using them again! lol

Stephanie

I started to suggest Dixie cups when I 1st read your disgust. I've made them for almost 5 yrs & would never make a single votive if I had to use any mold - especially since I use soy & it's such a delight to get outta that mold. There are no straight-sided Dixie cups, so you'll end up w/ a 3oz votive that won't fit into standard straight-sided holders. I always sell & recommend either the large oyster cup or flower pot holders. My customers love the larger size & I get $2.50 for each. I make & sell tons of these - I love 'em! Also, if you pour too hot it will melt the wax coating & will set up looking like beads of wax on the outside. Doesn't affect how the candle looks when you remove the paper, but always makes me wonder if fo also seeped thru. Since you're at your wits end w/ molds, I think you might really enjoy going this route -- good luck!

Susan.

We use both the plastic bathroom cups and the paper/waxed ones. The plastics impart a really nice surface to the candle, but the little indents at the bottom tend to crack easily - not a problem if the bottom of hte cup is the bottom of the candle - simply "finish" the bottom on a warmed flat surface. The paper ones don't have the indents, but the surface is not as nice and shiny as are the plastic ones. For rustics, not a problem! Be careful not to pour too hot - the wax on the paper cup will melt and the hot wax will permeate the paper. Again, not a problem if rustic is what you are looking for, but they can be a bear to unmold when the wax gets into the paper.

Good luck! :grin2:

I have used the wax paper dixie cups for several years. You couldn't pay me to use the votive molds. I love the fact that I can pour as many as I like when I want and not have to wait on molds. Plus the 3oz, I just like the bigger votive.

Now I have poured a little to hot at times, but I'm anal about my wax, so I'd use my paring knife and scrape the sides of the cup. I have to do repours anyway. I use the IGI 2281 w/additives, and don't find that it made my votives rustic. And I always try to sell the flower pot containers when I sold these, so it worked out great. Just my :2cents: **sorry, I didn't realize I was in the vegetable wax department

Thanks! I emailed my brother and told him I'm just going to walmart and buying votives! lol I'm tired of fighting with them. Anyway, I do plan on trying the Dixie cup votives since I have wax left over! Those should be such a pain as these other ones!

Thanks again!

Stephanie

What size wicks do you all use in the dixie cups then for the votives?

Depends on whether we're using soy or palm and on the FOs and dyes used... generally about the same one as we use in the metal votive molds... maybe a size larger in some cases - maybe even two... Do some tests with your stuff and see what works for ya. :wink2:

Wow -- Steph in Tx sounds just like Susan in Tx!! <ha> The only good use I've found for metal molds is as a shot glass!! I apologize to all the metal mold votive makers -- I truly appreciate you having a talent I don't possess. I use 51z wicks w/ my EZ Soy votives & -if I remember correctly- get about a 24 hr burn from Dixie cup votives. Is that right? Anyone else know their burn time for these?

Susan.

LMAO @ Susan in TX! Me and DH just found it easier to use the dixie cups for votives. We would make wick holes after the votive was set. DH rigged up a drill press w/ knitting needle, and we would use that for making our wick holes and then push the wicks up thru.

I haven't poured any votives in a couple of years! And I don't know where all my notes are at :o , but I will have to drag out some of the votives I have put away and burn just to see how long they burn. I'll have to do this later this week, as I have too much running around to do today!! :wink2:

Alot of times I would just pour any little extra wax in the dixie cups and make "weeks end" votives of different scents that got mixed together for .75 cents...and never had a problem with people buying them up just to sample the "blends"..lol