Color Problem

OK, so I'm getting pretty close to a perfect candle. My problem is that the edges of my candles seem to have a faded look compared to the middle part of the candle. This is coming right out of the mold. It seems that the color is more translucent near the edges. Any idea why this is happening?

I'm using IGI 4625 preblended paraffin, 1/8 tsp UV inhibitor, liquid dye from Cajun Candle. Seems to happen regardless of FO, but in this case I'm using Cool Water (Davidoff Type).

Is it the brand/type of dye, the wax or something else? TIA.

The wax is slightly translucent. It's supposed to be that way.

Thanx for the response. However, if that were the case, I'd expect it to appear translucent throughout. But it's not. It is more translucent near the edges, as if the color just isn't settling there.

Translucency shows up more at the edges, where the light can pass through a smaller thickness of wax.

If you want more opacity, you could try putting more additive in the blend, or start with straight paraffin and use a larger amount of an additive that's very effective in getting rid of translucency. Maybe Gloss Poly or AC400. Or you could find a more opaque pre-blend.

Alternatively try more dye and see if you like the results. It should look less washed out at the edges.

Translucency shows up more at the edges, where the light can pass through a smaller thickness of wax.

If you want more opacity, you could try putting more additive in the blend, or start with straight paraffin and use a larger amount of an additive that's very effective in getting rid of translucency. Maybe Gloss Poly or AC400. Or you could find a more opaque pre-blend.

Alternatively try more dye and see if you like the results. It should look less washed out at the edges.

Can't I just use stearic? I already have that. :)

Can't I just use stearic? I already have that. :)

Well, I'm not big on the idea of modifying the 4625 with another additive. If you want to do it and happen to have some Vybar lying around, I think I'd try a half teaspoon of that first and see if it gets you the opacity you want without doing anything bad. Stearic could help also if you use enough and your wick burns well with it.

If this wax has more translucency than you like, maybe there's some other product on the market you'd prefer. I wonder if Candlewic CBL-141 is more opaque than 4625.

If I had not already purchased so much of it, I would try another wax. In fact, I do have some 1343 as well, but I haven't really tried it yet. I started out with a 10-lb slab of 4625, but I don't recall that having this same effect. So I purchased a lot more. And now that I'm using it I am noticing it. I guess I will just have to get used to it for now. :cry2:

I use the 4625 for pillars and can't say that I've ever noticed any lighter shades/fading around the top edge of my pillars. I don't add anything to the wax, as it is a pre-blend. I haven't used the dye you speak of so I can't say if that has anything to do with it or not either. I'm no help, just thought I'd give you my experiences.

Thanx Steph. I agree, I didn't seem to have this problem before. May I ask, at what temp do you add FO and dye?

I originally was heating to 175, then add FO and dye, then pour. Lately I've been heating to 185. Could it be I'm letting it get too hot??? Hadn't thought of that before.

I would have to say closer to 175-180? I really didn't check temps when we were making our pillars. We would just make sure the wax was melted, add fo, and dye, and pour. Wait till we had a good skin to poke relief holes, then poured our second pour. We probably never got our wax over 185. (when we did take temps). We used liquid dye from BCN or Houston Candle Supply, so I can only judge by these colorants. HTH some.