Help with Salt Bar

brydean

I keep reading and hearing about salt bars and I really want to try one. But I can't find a recipe. I think I am search illiterate. I've tried searching here and I even tried googling it and had no success. Would someone be kind enough to tell me the basic on how to go about it!:embarasse

Thank you!!!!!

Easy peasy. Any high-lather recipe (some even use 100% coconut oil) will work. Make up a batch to half-fill your mold. Make the soap and at medium trace (though there is disagreement as to when), stir in salt equal in weight to your oils. Any salt will do, really, except epsom salts.

There's lots of stuff here about it!

Yep, what Carebear said. Another yummy recipe is 75% coconut oil and 25% shea butter. Talk about a dream combination. I stir my salt in at trace, stir hard and fast, and pour. Pop your mold (if its over safe) into a nice warm over about 175-180 degrees. Make sure to keep an eye on it. A nice good gel is a must for salt bars in my opinion. It will gel very fast so you might miss it. After about 1-2 hours it is ready to cut. You will have to wear gloves because it will be very hot, but if you do not cut at least within 3 hours of pouring, you wont be able to cut it with anything less than a saw (but it will do wonderfully as a substitution for a brick if you feel the need to bash someone's car window in:grin2:.)

The reason why you cant use Epsom salt (as you may be asking, mm, why is that:)) is because Epsom salt is a hydrate, it includes water in its crystal form, and will pretty much just turn your batch into mush.