Am I ready?

no, i dont think real close, i am about 18 miles of gulfport. small town called wiggins...except i am way out in the country.

btw...got my farmhouse sups..in late yesterday:yay: going to get started shortly..:yay: now of course i have ?, i will be pouring either pint or 1/2 pints(havent decided yet, maybe both) in their intructions it says to pour wax to top of jar, wax will shrink 1/4 to 1/2 inch. is this correct? i swear i saw somewhere that you dont. i will check the tech area also. they also say to warm jars.. as for the wax it is container wax, they say heat to 180,add color, fo...pour,,,then reheat to 165 for repour..i thought the repour should be warmer than first pour...:confused: i think this post is me thinking out loud..lol...i will now go to the tech area...thanks..:tiptoe:

No, your a long way from us, but I know where Wiggins is. I would suggest trying to pour the 1/2 pints first, I started with those and found theywere easier to deal with, plus, didn't have to wait so long for the second pour:) I usually pour my candle to the level of the jar that I want it, It will shrink, depending on the wax that you use, and then when you top the candle off, it will be at the level you want. I do pre heat my jars for about 10 mins on a VERY low oven setting. I heat the wax (depending on the type of wax), but if it is paraffin, to about 185, add the fo, color, etc. for the final pour, I heat the wax 10 degrees higher than the original temp and then pour, it gives the second pour a chance to bond with the first pour, so you don't have a line.

That is what works for me, so I hope that helps. But you can probably find many methods and ways that you can pour your candles here, and a lot of good ideas I am sure:)

7pawz, i did the 1/2 pints, they turned out well, i did the 1st heat at 170, then the 2nd at 180. out of 4lbs of wax, i yielded 10, sound about right to you? the wax shrunk hardly any. i did air relief holes, if i hadnt, i proably wouldnt have had to do a repour. i have pics in the gallery, check them out and tell what you think. the wax i used came from farmhouse, it is a very creamy almost like shortening,wipes up good:D but i have no idea what kind it is, just a container wax, not suitable for votives it says. i had ordered the kit, so i just got what they sent, no kind of description came with it..so if i wanted to reorder, it would be a quessing game with me..:undecided but i do like it.

and i did heat my jars. i am pleased how they turned out. i used a little extra on the fo too, they smell good on the cold throw, havent tried to burn one yet tho. i have a piece of one i made with leftover about 2 inches deep, i may try tomorrow..cant wait..

wickedwanda: They didn't give a description of the wax to you in the kit? Maybe you could check with them and find out. It looks like it is a one pour wax, might even be soy, I've been told that soy is very easy to wipe up and some people "microwave" it to melt for pouring, hard to tell, but it reminds me of the J223 or J50 just looking at the pictures, cant be the "J" waxes, it doesn't wipe up that good, it is sticky like shortening though:) by the way, the candles looked very nice:) like the color, I have some peach dye, maybe I should use it? :)

I usually do the air relief holes even if I have a "one pour" wax, which J223 is supposed to be, but it does shrink some, so I end up doing the relief holes anyway. the J50 wax is also one pour, very easy to use, and does not seem to shrink. Keep pouring:smiley2:

who do you order supplies thru? if you go to candlesuppliesbyfarmhouse.com look at the kit i ordered, the $55, it seems like there was another kit that was soy,not sure. with this you can wipe up with paper towel, and then a little rubbing alcolhol takes care of any residue left. of course i learned the hard way about putting newspaper on the floor;) . i just made some pints too, i was much more relaxed with these, had temp regulated just right, poured smoothly, but i was reading one of the post and it said out of a 4#vat it should make 6 pints, i only got 5 with very little reserve(hope its enough for repour)anyways i made mulberry twist(which is sickening) and i put in a wine dye,but i dont think i got it dark enough..oh well, i will pass on to my sister to test for me...lol...

WW:) I use alabaster, BCS,BCN, Early American,candles & supplies, quite a few different ones as you can see, in case one supplier runs out of something I really like I always have a back up:)

I went to farmhouse, couldn't find the kit, but suspect you either have soy or soy blend wax that you are using, but you just have to find what works for you:) I use J223, so I figure that one lb wax, by weight will give me at least 2 1/2 pint jars filled with a little reserve left. Pick a fill level on your jar, not overfull, but not below the last rim where the jar lid screws on. Know what you mean about a "sickening" scent--someone asked for a coffee candle, i found french roast, it smells really like a pot of coffee, but when that oil is added to the hot wax--:( UGH! not good, I told them I hope they enjoy that candle, cause it was the last one I would make like that:)

ok, here's one for you, on the peach candles i did, i had a tester i quess you could say, 1/2 pint, filled about 1/2 way, it burned well for awhile, i would blow it out, burn some more, blow out and so on til it was about an inch left, when it got that low, the top of jar began sooting up..i would say the top 2 inches. what caused this? and that is one thing i hate in candles that i buy:mad:

oh yeah, the candle kit is under accessories on farm house, i did go into another page and looked at there different types of wax and found what i think is it...but...... i forgot what it was called..:undecided

WickedWanda: were you test burning your candle? The way that I test mine is that I burn the candlle untill I get a complete melt pool across the diameter of the candle. If the diameter of the jar is 2 in,then I'd burn the candle 2 hours or untill I reached a full melt pool, same thing if the diameter of the jar is 3, 4,etc. Are you trimming the wick between burns? That is one thing that I could think of that caused the sooting. What size wick did you use? Was the diameter of the jar an even shape? in other words , from the top of the jar to the bottom, was it an even width? Those things may have something to do with it as well. Don't know if I helped:)

ok, here's one for you, on the peach candles i did, i had a tester i quess you could say, 1/2 pint, filled about 1/2 way, it burned well for awhile, i would blow it out, burn some more, blow out and so on til it was about an inch left, when it got that low, the top of jar began sooting up..i would say the top 2 inches. what caused this? and that is one thing i hate in candles that i buy:mad:

oh yeah, the candle kit is under accessories on farm house, i did go into another page and looked at there different types of wax and found what i think is it...but...... i forgot what it was called..:undecided

The sooting problem could be the type of wick you are using, or it could be something as simple as not trimming it back to 1/4 in after your last burn...

Farmhouse uses zinc wicks, and more than likely you have a 50/50 blend of wax. I didn't read the entire thread, but you may have too much FO in it. I don't like zinc wicks because of mushrooming, I prefer CDs. And with the blended wax & zinc you need to keep a very trimmed wick. Good luck!

thanks for the input, i do suspect that is what happened, mushrooming wick, and i proably didnt trim well enough.

now i am getting ready to order more wax and wicks also containers, i am thinking of trying peaks, and suggestions on the wax and wicks will be helpful. i would like to make something in the line of 160z. i would prefer glass but i am open to tins. i looked at the website, and am totally confused on which wax and wicks for what container.:confused: and another thought...when making wickless do you do them the same as wicks..air relief holes and all? i do know to use short and fat containers tho..that sounds excellent...no wicks no worry:D oh yeah, i havent quite decided on fo yet..i saw several i would like to order and will (proably) one is the storm watch..any advice on that scent...?