Rosemary Oleoresin Extract

SoapLady

If you've used this to prevent DOS, did it help? What usage rate did you use? I've seen a usage rate of .1-.5% and it seems like most people add it directly to the oils after purchase. I am considering getting some to use in my castile since it seems to be DOS prone. Before I order, I thought I would check in and see whether it's worked for you guys. TIA for sharing your experience!

ROE has a very strong odor, at least to my nose, so it may affect some of your scents. I personally use Meadowfoam oil in all my soaps, it helps with the shelf life of other oils and makes a great bar of soap even better!! Since I started using it in all my soaps over a year ago, I've had no DOS and that's a good thing!! :cool2:

"Meadowfoam oil is one of the most stable lipids known, and meadowfoam oil lends stability to other oils that are combined with it. It, therefore, is useful in applications where you are using less stable oils such as sweet almond, kukui nut, evening primrose, borage, and hemp. Use Meadowfoam oil in lotion bars and lip balms to extend the shelf life. Meadowfoam oil makes a very moisturizing bar of soap when it is used as a superfatting agent. It is often used as a binder, and it may help extend fragrances better than other oils when used in bath salts, soaps and massage oils."

I used it for awhile. I never saw any difference, and even at 1/10 % it changed the color of my base oils a bit. I used to add it to my jug of RBO.

I rarely get DOS, but I'm in a low humidity area. Keeping your soaps out of heat and humidity has the greatest effect I think. I also dropped my superfat %.

ROE has a very strong odor, at least to my nose, so it may affect some of your scents. I personally use Meadowfoam oil in all my soaps, it helps with the shelf life of other oils and makes a great bar of soap even better!! Since I started using it in all my soaps over a year ago, I've had no DOS and that's a good thing!! :cool2:

"Meadowfoam oil is one of the most stable lipids known, and meadowfoam oil lends stability to other oils that are combined with it. It, therefore, is useful in applications where you are using less stable oils such as sweet almond, kukui nut, evening primrose, borage, and hemp. Use Meadowfoam oil in lotion bars and lip balms to extend the shelf life. Meadowfoam oil makes a very moisturizing bar of soap when it is used as a superfatting agent. It is often used as a binder, and it may help extend fragrances better than other oils when used in bath salts, soaps and massage oils."

At what level do you use it in soaps? Do you use it in lotion bars too, btw? Curious about this!

Thanks for your replies! It helps so much to hear the experiences of other soapers. The darkening of soap as well as changing the scent would be a real downer for me.

Carebear, I found that link very interesting. I tried to figure out how to quote part of it but couldn't. In section 2, it says "Thus ROE and EDTA showed the best preservative effects of any in our test." Wouldn't that indicate that it did prevent DOS? (Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here! :embarasse )

ChrisR, I was so surprised to hear of meadowfoam oil! A soaping oil that would be totally new to me. I did some searching but didn't find much about its use in soap. What rate do you add it? I couldn't find an SAP value, so I'm assuming it doesn't saponify?

I usually make 3 lb. batches of soap and I add 1 oz. of meadowfoam oil directly with the oils. I use soapmaker calc. and they list it as a SAP of .119. I do also use EDTA in my soaps also.

I do add a bit to my lip balms and lotion, but I haven't to my lotion bars, cause I only make them in the summer with bug buster EO's.

I get mine at Tony's, which is about the best price I've found so far. :cool2:

Carebear, I found that link very interesting. I tried to figure out how to quote part of it but couldn't. In section 2, it says "Thus ROE and EDTA showed the best preservative effects of any in our test." Wouldn't that indicate that it did prevent DOS? (Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here! :embarasse )

Hmmm. I knew I was missing something. Perhaps it was that ROE on its own was inadequate? I don't remember and unfortunately don't have time to re-read it. But I'm glad the article helped you out!

Hmmm. I knew I was missing something. Perhaps it was that ROE on its own was inadequate?

Actually, it was rated pretty highly on its own as well, and definitely rated better than the other "natural" antioxidants tested:

ROE and EDTA showed the best preservative effects of any single additives in our tests
I use ROE at a rate of 1/10th teaspoon per pound of oils, added when I melt the oils for a batch. (I don't add it to the oils in the bottle because I use some of them for cooking also. I think it's edible, but that doesn't mean I want to eat it. :grin2:) At that addition rate it the scent doesn't come through at all, and any effect on color is too slight to bother me.

It definitely helps with DOS. It isn't a guarantee, and I still sometimes get DOS because of the humidity here, but soaps with ROE are much less likely to get spots than those without it.