"Priority Mail" box

Tizimarezie

This is surely a very dumb question but I have to ask because I simply do NOT know.......:embarasse

I have some boxes that are the absolute perfect size for shipping a couple of candles BUT the boxes are marked "USPS Priority Mail". If I want to ship Parcel Post (to save some money)...can I take a big black marker and cross out the words "Priority Mail"? Is that acceptable? :o

TIA

Legally speaking, no. It's a violation of USPS rules to use a Priority Mail box for anything else, since part of the Priority fees are going to providing those boxes. I've been eBay'ing for years, and I can't count the number of packages that I have received UPS, FedEx, and parcel post that turned out to be Priority Mail boxes turned inside out. I'm definitely NOT saying that it's OK to do, but it's done a lot... You'll have to make your own call, and deal with your own conscience on this one.

I've been eBay'ing for years, and I can't count the number of packages that I have received UPS, FedEx, and parcel post that turned out to be Priority Mail boxes turned inside out.
I know there are a lot of people who do this and even if they don't get caught (it's a federal offense if they do catch up with you) it only serves to drive up prices for the rest of us. Those boxes cost money and when the postal rates go up again in the spring I'm sure this is part of the fee.