Testing process

I am curious about the testing process. I know that you need to test each container and each FO and wick combo but I was wondering exactly how everyone tests their candles. I can't find a good written guide for this subject.

Please help, I respect all of you pro's and want to make high quality soy candles to start a business someday. I know from all of my reading on this board that testing is a never-ending process and can be very frustrating. I am just looking for some good advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have learned a few things by reading up here. I have yet to make my first perfect

test candle, but I am getting real close!

Here is what I have learned here so far:

Learn how to use a digital scale to measure wax and FO.

Be prepared to spend quite a bit testing candles.

Realize that FO's are measured by weight

and not volume.

Stick with 1 wax and 1 FO (if possible)

until you master it, then move on.

Search this forum and you will learn ALOT

HTH!

I would say -- don't be afraid to step outside the box & go w/ your gut. I belong to a Yahoo group w/ a guy who purposely tries to test everything under the worst conditions & stretches every limit possible. He's darkly hilarious & posts about setting fires & causing explosions, but he absolutely knows what the limit is of everything he makes. Personally, I heat my soy higher than the supplier instructs & have never had a problem w/ scent throw or separation. I use wicks that aren't recommended. I use additives that are questioned by others. Basically, if you don't like following the rules others have set -- get in there & try something different. Start w/ what you're told will work & test how far you can push the limit of anything you don't like doing. Also, don't trust anyone else's opinion -- sure you need outside input, but I've seen things from really smart & reliable people that I just can't believe! I had a friend complain that my votive caused her holder to break. I asked her to bring it to me. The container was about 1/2 full & the wick had shifted to one side right next to the glass causing the break. I decided to save the wax & put the container in the oven to melt the wax. When I poured the wax out I was shocked to find 5 wick tabs under my wick. She had put my votive on top of 5 burned out votives & never cleaned the holder. So when my votive created a full melt pool the old tabs shifted my wick to the glass & caused the crack. If you test then you know you're making a good candle & can start searching for what someone else has done wrong. People will do things you never thought of!!

Susan.

(For container candles)

Basically, I'm testing to see if my candle burns well. That it doesn't smoke/soot, that it consumes all... or the vast majority of the wax, that the jar doesn't get overly hot during the burn. That the wick doesn't drown out and/or that the flame doesn't dance excessively. That the wick stays put in the final stages of the burn. That the candle doesn't burn too, fast...etc.

That the scent throws well, both cold and hot.

I'm probably left out something. I'm on my first cup of coffee...:smiley2:

Hi. Not sure this will help, but I pour about 1/2 of a jelly jar without wicking. (This saves wax and FO). After curing as long as I feel is needed...I go 48 hours usually, I poke a center hole and wick with the wick I think will do the best. Heat gun the top to fill in around the wick. Burn for 3 hours and check for throw, burn, and all those things. If right off the top it smokes, doesn't melt out, (basically burn the way I want it to) or after the time it still doesn't make a full melt pool, I douse it and rewick with a different wick and keep trying. When I find the right combo, I do a full jar and then burn it from top to bottom over the next days and make sure I still like it. If it is a go, I make another and give to someone else to try. If all is go, I figure I have a keeper. Beth

One thing that can help you is having a pre-printed candle test sheet. If you are handy with MS Word you can make one yourself, and print off many copies to have records of your testing. I have small labels I cut up into smaller squares, and use them to numerically label the test candles so I don't get confused which is which (even though they smell different, some may smell the same when I'm testing different wicks).

Check for a PM from me also :wink2:

geek