Wax turning yellow after candle is blown out

Hi everybody,

My name is Migdany, and I have in been glued to my computer for five hours reading all of your great advise, I love this forum...this is great:cheesy2:!! But I was wondering if any of you can help me with one big problem I am having with the Eco Soya CB-Pure Soy... I'm new at this,so please forgive my ignorance:undecided . The problem is that after I blow out the candle,and it goes back to the solid form, whatever mp it created while burning turns slighlty tan, making the candle look terrible. I'm using 1.5oz of fo pp, container is 8oz jar and the wick is the CD-12,single wick. Can any of you help, I have done so much research and cant find anything on the subject, it driving me crazy!!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance:) .

Migdany

There was a discussion about this sometime this past week as I wondered the same thing myself.

When I began making Candles, I used Soy and it turned some funky colors also after the MP had cured. Yellow turned pink, whites turned yellow and so on so Im curious to hear of some great answers on this!

Thanks for answering. The wax is an opaque white when it sets,the problem is after the first burn, then I blow it out and it turns tan like where the mp took place. I know this is weird, I have burned candles for many years and never had this happen, now that I want to make them is when I see this happen. I'm thinking of changing the wax. I just dont know what else to do:(

Tell me why did you start with soy? I know everyone has a preference but everything I have read on this site there seems to be so many problems associated with the soy. Just my oppinion.....I love the 50/50 blend from Just scents and you can also get it from farmhouse. It is a one pour and it burns clean and the throw is amazing!!!! I also love the heinz core wicks which are the CD's. I do not like the zinc as much because they tend to mushroom a lot. Also with the 50/50 there is no need to re-pour and my tops are always nice and smooth and even! You will get alot of different preferences here but alot of us use the blends.

Hi there. I've also found that too. I bought a container starter kit that came with Soya+ wax. Great to work with, good cold and hot throw but I've found that once the melt pool has cooled and set it is a different colour to the rest of the wax. I didn't colour the candle they were left in their natural colour but you can notice the difference. I just put it down to one of those things about soy. Maybe it's because it's vegetable base as I've never seen this in paraffin.

Personally , it doesn't bother me as the scent isn't affected - it still smells gorgeous. The only thing is would paying customers object to the colour change or do you just embrace it and educate your customers that if they want natural they have to accept all natural occuring phenomena in the candle.

Ruby

Yes soy does this. BUT it doesn't affect the candle or throw, so why worry about it? I know we strive for perfection, but what we really want is a candle that burns long and clean and has a great throw. If that is all achieved, does anything after that (cosmetic stuff like wet spots, frosting, different color mp area, etc) really matter? Not to me and my sales are great!!! :D

Thanks Meredith for your comment. I'm glad that an experienced candlemaker such as yourself feels the same way as I, a mere newbie, about soy and its quirks.

My MIL is test burning some soy containers for me and she too noticed the colour change and made a comment. However, when I explained that it's a natural occuring process she was alright about it.

I think you're right. Like everything in our society today too much emphasis is given to the cosmetics when it's the smell that counts. As you say it doesn't affect your sales. You obviously know your own products and have educated your customers to accept this as normal. Good for you :highfive:

Ruby

I figure why fight what really is a losing battle? All soy has its quirks and it doesn't take long or much effort to educate customers. IMO It's a lot easier to educate them than it is to fight the soy to do what you want. LOL You just have to sit back and really decide what it is you want from your wax/product and how much you are really willing to put into that effort. For me, it is clean, long burning candle with an awesome throw. I guess that is an answer that will vary from person to person. And that is O.K. too. :smiley2:

Thank you all for your responses, I feel alot better knowing I'm not the only one who has come across this problem and that this common with with soy, I thought I was doing something wrong. It's true about educating the customers, I guess the color change don't matter as long as the end results are good. I'm so glad to have found this board .:cheesy2:

I'm making my first big batch tomorrow,I'm nervous but excited!

Thanks again!!