Bath Melt Hell ... now there!!

k&g

After many wonderful batches of Bunny's bath melts I've finally gotten to the crusty, non-smooth, hardening too quickly batch hell!! :cry2:

Made one last night and thought I had accidentally added too much of something ... just made another batch ... same outcome. Followed directions to the 't'.

My thought is it's the butter. I used all cocoa and all shea and they were perfect. I used all mango and that was the ticket to hell!! :mad: BUT not all mango does this. I've had some from WSP and they were great. I'm now thinking of mixing the mango with the shea ... we'll see how that works.

For now ... free bath melt crumbles for friends OR I might crush them and try making Moisturizing Fizzies by adding more citric acid!! Got to think of something ... house party next weekend!

Thanks for letting me ramble ... hope everyone has a great week!

Mine always turn out that way :(

But I only worked with cocoa butter I think (thinking way back to recall the original recipe which is what I followed).

MY problem may have been that I worked too hot, but not sure on this. If you ever figure yours out for SURE I need to know! LOL

To prevent crystalization of Mango butter... it must be kept at around 180 degrees for 15- 20 minutes.... it should work next time. You almost shared me because I plan on making these for a show.... Try the temp thing... you'll get it with the mango butter.

-------------

Same thing with shea butter.. so if you plan on using shea butter too read below....

FNWL:

Tip: Improper heating of shea butter can cause the butter to crystallize as it cools. This crystallization can cause lip balms, body butters and other formulations to turn gritty. To avoid this, shea butter must be melted and heated to about 175 degrees and kept at that temperature for at least 20 minutes. This will allow the butter to melt completely so that crystals will not form after it has cooled.

I've used many different types of harder butters in these in an attempt to try to lessen the oily ring left on the tub. I've also made these with Sal butter. It set up nicely but when they melted in the tub, it looked like I had dollops of sour cream floating around. :tongue2: So a word to the wise, don't use Sal in them. :wink2: