Jewelweed Soap

gingerinarkansas

No. I do make a couple of soaps that are helpful for poison ivy, though. Grandma's Old-Fashioned is an unscented lard soap that strips the fresh poison ivy oils from the skin if you've touched it.

After you've already gotten the rash, time to switch to some soothing oatmeal soap. lol

You have to be careful with jewelweed soap....it made DH's poison ivy MUCH worse!! Since he is always getting poison ivy (VERY allergic) the best thing we have found is Zanfel. He's beeing using it now for the past 2 years and it actually works wonderful. His poison ivy hasn't spread past the couple of spots that first show up using the Zanfel. It's expensive, but worth every penny and I can usually find it cheaper on Ebay!! :cool2:

I'd do some more research into that plant. All that I have read states you need fresh jewelweed. I have read on forums about using it in CP and each time, I go back to my books and internet sources and I do not find anything that leads me to believe it would work.

I would personally use a castille recipe with oatmeal once the rash has broken out.

I have never tried it myself, but Sandy Maine makes a Jewelweed Soap for poison ivy. (and by gosh, she knows a lot more about soap making than I do.) In her book "Soothing Soaps for Healthy Skin" she states .... For soap, jewelweed must be used in either fresh or frozen form. Once you locate a patch, snip about twenty plants at the base. Get them home as soon as you can. Rinse them in cool water and blend them with 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of glycerin. Strain this maceration through several layers of cheesecloth, discarding the remaining plant matter. The remaining mixture that you don't use in your soap recipe can be frozen into ice cubes and stored for direct application on future outbreaks of poison ivy.

She also makes calamine soap, camphor and clary sage soap, balsam of peru and benzoin anti-itch soap, and witch hazel soap (decoction made from the bark). These soaps don't cure it, just help relieve itching.

Susan

Ummm, yeah, those professional soap makers never made a mistake in any of their books.

When you run across the one that tells you to add the water to the lye, make sure to follow our instructions on how to do it, not hers.

If she's going to take the time to develop a bar that will help/sooth the itching, all I suggested was to research the herb more. I really hate to see people spend time and money hoping to achieve something specific and it doesn't even come close to what they expected.