Gel Martini question

jessiec

Hello everyone! I am playing with some med. density penreco gel and would like to attempt a martini. I have the gel safe fo and have done as much reading as I have been able to find. But, I am still not sure about whether or not I should crimp the wick or if just using the high neck tab is enough with this sort of glass. I am just thinking of a standard martini glass, but they do narrow so much at the bottom that I am unsure whether or not that would be too hot.

If anyone has made these before, could you please let me know if you just wick them with a high neck tab or if you have to crimp?

TIA :)

in order to wick the candle for the opening of the martini glass, you need to use a wick that is way to large for the bottom of the glass.

you can either crimp about half way up the glass, or you can do several pours and double glass using a glass tealite container with a gel tea lite candle in it...............

cheryl

Thanks for the response, Cheryl. That makes perfect sense and is pretty much what I was expecting you veterans to tell me. Looking at a few sellers sites made me second guess my better judgement though.

It is crazy looking at all of these sites that are selling gel candles and don't seem to be taking safety into consideration at all. Maybe my zoom feature isn't allowing me to look close enough, but it sure appears as if there is no crimp and no tea light container in many of these candles that are obviously too narrow to be wicking to the bottom. Not to mention all of the florals and other flammable items that are surrounding the wick.

I think that I will probably go with the tea light since it will be the easiest way to wick. I'd rather be safe than sorry any day.

Thanks again for your helpful advice. I appreciate it :)

you're welcome, jessie.

i cannot tell you how much respect i have for you because you asked.

too many people decide that they want to do ..candles..soap...b and b.. and be ready for a show tomorrow and never spend the time to research and learn.

i have done way too many craft shows looking at fellow gel chandlers who have candy, silk and plastic embeds in their candles and have even bent the wicks around those embeds.

i teach adult ed. gel candle making classes and in the basic classes, we spend the first 45 minutes (out of 2 hours) learning safety.

cheryl