Website Question

Late Night

When you have a website made by sommeone else do you HAVE to have their link at the bottom? Or anywhere else for that matter. I understand they want the advertisement and that's cool but what if you don't want it on your site? I'm not talking about them hosting it, just building it.

You have to show that they are doing the work for you. It's not just advertisement for them, it's giving them credit for the great work they have done. Most web designers have policies regarding this and in order for you to use there designs you need to have this on your site somewhere.

No, you don't. Part of your "terms" when you hire a web designer can be that you will be the owner of the end result (which, quite frankly, is better protection for you).

I've done ad design, logo design etc. etc. and can tell you positively that there were MANY designs that I did not own once they were completed. There were also many that I did own. It will all come down to what you agree to when contracting the work.

-Michelle

On the site I got my design from, she asked that I keep her name on my site as her policy. I didn't know that some companies don't require that. But, I don't mind anyways, if I did the work for someone I think I would like to be aknowledged for my work.

I do website design (but am phasing it out as I'm tired of sitting on my duff in front of a computer all day). Once you've paid for the website, there's no reason for them to stake a claim on your site by gluing their name to it. There's only one big reason for them to do so....advertising. The other being just in case something goes awry and technical assistance is needed and contacting the designer/developer is imminent. Um...how often does THAT happen? :rolleyes2

Pushing away from the computer now.................

:D

G'night

Well, if they did the work for free maybe they should feel entitled, but if you paid them for the design already and you're paying for that website every month why give them free advertising? For some of the people who get their design and hosting from the same primitive/country places, they all kind of look the same. What you are doing by allowing them to advertise their site and services for free on your site is essentially giving an open invitiation to everyone who stops at your website to know the secrets to your business. I wouldn't want people to have a website that looked similar to mine.

That free plug on your site irritates me much like car dealer logos on most of the cars that everyone drives. If you plunk down $30K for a vehicle--why should you give them free advertising everywhere you drive that car? You own it.

What you are doing by allowing them to advertise their site and services for free on your site is essentially giving an open invitiation to everyone who stops at your website to know the secrets to your business. I wouldn't want people to have a website that looked similar to mine.

quote]

A good designer would NEVER duplicate a site. My sites do not look the same, in fact, ALL of them (oops - minus one that is a template) are all custom. Most design companies require their name at the bottom for credit for their work - contractually. I don't REQUIRE my clients to have it - in fact, it is an option that I request, but not push, as I put my trademark into the code as well.

I look at it the same way as some would other products. For example - you buy lotion at BBW - do you remove the label when you get home so that others don't get the same lotion? No. That would be silly. A small link at the bottom of a webpage isn't going to kill anyone, and in most cases, it is done tastefully.

From the designers standpoint - that is my opinion. Sorry Sock - doesn't seem like we're on the same page recently :)

I could name names, but I won't, because too many people use the particular site I'm thinking of. I'm not trashing their sites, they're cute but if you go to this site you can click on all of the "merchant's" websites and what do they all look like? Let's all put beige, plaid, stars, sheep, angels, berries, etc. Each one is different, yet they're all the same, and they all have the designer/host listed at the bottom of the page. Obviously, that free advertisement at the bottom of everyone's page has gotten a lot of mileage and is working for the designer/host, because there are a ton of people that use it.

As for the B&BW comment, I fail to see the similarity. I buy the product, take it home and use it without removing the label. It's for my own private use and I do not intend to resell it or share it with others. Why would I care if others buy the same thing? I don't make it. I have no stake in it.

I understand why a designer or web host would want to leave their ID on a product they had a hand in creating--for the purpose of drumming up more business. Nothing personal against you or anyone else, but if someone comes to the website I'm paying the bills on, and upon which my income depends, I want visitors to focus on my products, not who created my artwork or who hosts my site.

With the attitute that it's cool to advertise who does your website & design, why not list everywhere you buy all of your supplies from too? It makes just as much sense.

As a web designer, I have it in the contract asking for credit for 1 year but have also not put it on there when the owner requests that it not be on there.

It used to be that I would make it plainly obvious but I have since tried to make it smaller and not as obvious, blending into the background.

I can see both sides of it and respect why someone wouldn't want it on there. But for some web designers, its how they get their work noticed and how they build their business.

I think that they should have the option of putting it on their if it is ok with the client...after all wouldn't it be the same as a painter signing a painting after it was done. Just think if no one signed the Mona Lisa...we wouldn't know who painted it.

Sorry Sock- I didn't make myself clear (my bad)

I don't force ANYONE to keep my name on their sites. I ask them (with my initial paperwork) to put it on their site - they have to chose not to. I put my name within the code. I have had several clients that just don't care if I put it there or not. I do try to make it really really small so that it doesn't take the focus off their product, etc.

And yes, I do know what you meah (directed to Sock too! :)) there are some sites that seem pretty much identical. *I* do not do that. I recently quoted a lady for a site. She laughed and told her her friend could do it for a quarter of my quote. I asked for his website to check out his portfolio. Well - yeah, he has TONS of experience. About 400 - I kid you not - clients are listed. but EVERY site is the same with the exception of color. Now that I find sad. There is no "design" in that at all. They are cookie cutters. I don't work that way.

Funk, do you offer people link to your site (or your ID in general) a discount on your services vs. people who request not to have you listed? The only one who has anything to gain by having it listed is you.

Unfortunately, too many people (myself included) are in the dark when it comes to creating webpages and don't take the time to research a lot of companies and compare prices and practices before they buy into the quickest, easiest website designer/host. If you can get cheaper pricing by advertising another company on your site that's fine, if you understand that's what's going on.

However, if you want a truly professional looking site, take a look at what the big boys do. You will never find any advertisements for the host or the designer on a B&BW site, Avon, Mary Kay, Caswell-Massey, Yankee Candle, or any other major retailer's site, even suppliers such as WSP, SW and you will find none of them identify their hosts or give credit to who designed the site. In reality, some have their own in-house designers, but what it amounts to is that they aren't advertising someone else for free.

To me, fully priced services should be branding-free or optional.

If you pay for the design services and the graphics truly are uniquely your own, then I don't see why a credit needs to be intact. By having the credit at the bottom makes it seem like a template or shareware. I would prefer that if credit is given via bottom link, a (very) deep discount on services is also given.

I do offer my clients that allow me to advertise a discount on other items they may need - be it printed materials or a discount on their maintenance. I certainly give the option.

Most of the bigger companies have IT departments and handle their website internally - which is why there isn't a name on the bottom.

I figure it is up the person who owns the site. I am a hired contractor - here purely to provide a service. If I am allowed to advertise, great, if not, it's in the code anyway. No harm, no foul - either way.

Thanks to all who responded and for not letting this thread go down hill! I didn't have anyone in mind, honest, but yeah, you can tell a cookie cutter site as soon as you open it up. That isn't where I was going though. I just bought a car...the dealer's name in on it. So everywhere I go, there he is getting free advertisement even though I already paid him through the nose. I'm sure anyone in my area knows where they can find a Jeep to buy and folks in other areas don't give a crap where I got it. (Little soap box rant) My D-ex won't buy ANYTHING with a logo on it if he can help it. He will even take logos off clothing if he can. So, perhaps we both are a little weird about this. But, for me, with all the work I've done to build a business I just don't feel right having someone elses name attached to MY site that I paid for, every time someone clicks on. This is just my personal preference. On a side note Funky, I have seen your portfolio on your site and you do great work and each one is indeed different! Kudos to all the developers who give the option.

Thanks for the compliment Late Night. I'm still tweaking a few of them, but I truly am happy that each site is different. The cookie-cutter thing drives me crazy! When a designer does that, it shows me that they are working in their own best interest, not what is best for the client. Each of my sites were designed with input of what my clients wanted - not what *I* wanted for them.

Anyway... back to the logo thing. I'm going downstairs to rip the dealer name off my van now... brb..

Just another though on this...if I purchase something and I like it and it works well for me and worth the money I don't mind a small name somewhere...the car is a good example...I love my hybrid and the people I purchased it from were really nice and helpful, I do not mind their name tastefully on my car.

With us all being in self promotion we would appreciate that also. If someone buys one of our products and loves it wouldn't it be weird if they took our label off so no one would know who made their candle or B&B product? In return I have noticed a lot of websites created by the web designers on their portfolio page...is this not great advertisment for us? I have two other real estate web sites and they are on the designers portfolio page, I have actually received business from this and in this Real Estate market I need all the help I can get...lol :laugh2: ... (not to mention these links do help with the SEO of your site)...I have found some great products this way...I guess I just see this as one biz person helping another with self promotion.

Oh...had to add one more thing....I gave my biz cards out to all the people in the car dealership and I did end of getting business from this a few months down the road...so next time you go to purchase your car bring along a few samples attached to you cards and hand them out you never know!

Edited for spelling and additional comments!

lol...sounds like you had a bad exerience at a car dealership...but there are a lot of really nice ladys that work in the back offices and the dreaded "Car Salesmen" do have wives at home that would enjoy our great products. But you know what I mean...leave cards and samples wherever you go that was just one example. :cheesy2:

Just another though on this...if I purchase something and I like it and it works well for me and worth the money I don't mind a small name somewhere...the car is a good example...I love my hybrid and the people I purchased it from were really nice and helpful, I do not mind their name tastefully on my car.

With us all being in self promotion we would appreciate that also. If someone buys one of our products and loves it wouldn't it be weird if they took our label off so no one would know who made their candle or B&B product? In return I have noticed a lot of websites created by the web designers on their portfolio page...is this not great advertisment for us? I have two other real estate web sites and they are on the designers portfolio page, I have actually received business from this and in this Real Estate market I need all the help I can get...lol :laugh2: ... (not to mention these links do help with the SEO of your site)...I have found some great products this way...I guess I just see this as one biz person helping another with self promotion.

Oh...had to add one more thing....I gave my biz cards out to all the people in the car dealership and I did end of getting business from this a few months down the road...so next time you go to purchase your car bring along a few samples attached to you cards and hand them out you never know!

Edited for spelling and additional comments!

Yes but, they have the option of throwing away that card. It's not stuck to their forehead, their shirt, their shoes, their car etc! I'm not a walking billboard for anyone. IF I want to advertise for them I should have the choice. It really has nothing to do with whether I'm satisfied or not. Supporting someone you know and like is one thing. I'm talking about strangers who did a service for you and you paid for that service and then you are obligated to give them free advertisement for the rest of your life. Sorry...told you it was a touchy subject with me. :D

I agree with you...if it is something that you do not want or it bothers you then you should have the option not to have their name on your site. :cool2: I personally like the idea of having my site advertised on their site as I always enjoy free advertising and link connections, you never know who is looking at their site and needs your service or product. ;)