Test Burn Problem

I tried test burning some candles in an unheated room today and none of my normal wick sizes were working. The room temperature was around 68 and all of them were leaving at least 1/4" around the edges. I use Astorlite V...just scent and dye. These were made last week...I used the normal 44-18-? and CD5. They both seemed to be too small with very little flame. Any thoughts? I've been congested this last week and really didn't want to deal with spicey scents in the house so that's why they got burned in a cold shop. Ginger

Ambient temperature is one of the major things that makes testing so difficult. There is no way testing can be done in every possible scenario. If someone who keeps their house at 65 degrees buys one of my candles that I tested at 72 degrees, they're going to get some hangup. I don't see any way around it.

You know - this candle burning thing can get a little complicated.......

JMHO - This is how I look at it: I have tested my candles until I am blue in the face, and there will still be some variable that I, or anyone else, has not thought up at this point. Ambient temperature, humidity, whether or not there is a draft in the room etc etc etc..... People that buy your candles can come up with the most amazing ways to burn them, and there is no way on God's green earth that you can account for all those things. Do your best, make sure your product is safe, but unfortunately, you can't account for all the variables that may present themselves when your customer makes use of your product. Temperature, or otherwise......

I went through this very same thing when I moved last year. I am now in an old, old farmhouse and some rooms are very cool. I pulled my hair out last spring trying to wick, thought I had lost my mind. Then I realized the room temp. was to blame.

Janette

You know - this candle burning thing can get a little complicated.......

JMHO - This is how I look at it: I have tested my candles until I am blue in the face, and there will still be some variable that I, or anyone else, has not thought up at this point. Ambient temperature, humidity, whether or not there is a draft in the room etc etc etc..... People that buy your candles can come up with the most amazing ways to burn them, and there is no way on God's green earth that you can account for all those things. Do your best, make sure your product is safe, but unfortunately, you can't account for all the variables that may present themselves when your customer makes use of your product. Temperature, or otherwise......

AMEN! I agree. We knock ourselves out with testing and having the perfect wick, and perfect throw. Its impossible to know where our candles will be burnt once they leave our hands. Personally I enjoy having one lit on the deck on a cool starry night curled up with an afghan and my sweetie. But it will burn differently than one sitting on the countertop in the kitchen. Some things are just better reckoned with. :highfive: