Candle testing - procedure?

I've done a lot of reading and though 'testing' is without question, I haven't found one post that takes me from beginning to end in the procedure. So, could someone let me know if I've got this right?

1) make wickless candle in container of choice

2) let candle partially solidify

3) poke hole (with skewer) for wick to be inserted

4) let candle cure (for two days or more)

5) cut tab off of wick of choice and insert wick into candle

6) light wick and let burn for two hours (if all looks safe)

7) after candle solidifies again, relight wick for another two hours

a) continue repeating steps 6 & 7 until candle wax has reached a safe point at the bottom of the container (about 1/4" wax remaining).

8) if wick does not work properly, insert another wick to test and repeat steps 6 & 7.

And every time a new FO is used and/or a new type of wax is used and/or new container size is used....testing is performed. Yes? Anything else?

If this is not correct, please let me know. Thanks!!

:cheesy2:

~Marilyn

Some of that is making a candle. Everyone has her/his opinion, steps etc. in doing that.

Your burn time is established by the diameter. It isn't set at 2 hours every time. Another thing you may want to think about in your testing is burning like the candle fan ... do not adhere to rules and see what happens.

In addition, you should probably check the burn rate, which deals with weighing your product from the start and then after each burn. There are calculators on this site somewhere.

You can switch it around a bit.

Pour the candle, let it set up

Poke hole

Add untabbed wick

Cure for a few days

Burn a few times

If you don't like the burn, pull the wick, stick the jar in the oven at

150 until it's level, poke your hole, let it set up, stick in another wick.

The burn rate is pretty easy to calculate.

Weigh candle. Burn for 2 hours. Weigh again. Difference is the wax consumed in 2 hours. Divide by 2 and you will have the amount burned per

hour. Multiply by the solid wax weight of the candle and you will have an

estimated total burn time.

Check some candle sites for comparable sizes and average burn times and see if you are in the ball park. If it's not going to burn long enough, you need to wick down. If it's burning well and will burn longer than others, forget it. You did a good job!

For a fun test, pour a few same wax and scent, with different wicks. Burn them side by side and compare.

HTH,

e