CP Soap wholesale ?

woolfswickery

Hey to all...

I have a question we have been approached about someone buying our soaps wholesale for their store. I am curious what should be charged. Bars weigh appx 3.5oz to 4.2 oz and I sell them retail $3.50 a bar.

I am just curious as to what maybe some of you charge. People around here are just getting into the CP soaps so it is exciting they want this instead of the M&P soaps!!! This is our 10th year of making soaps so we are glad people are coming back for more!

I base my retail on my cost. When I do sell them wholesale, I sell them half of what I do retail. The one person that does buy wholesale, then sells them for the same price I do. She said that way we wouldn't compete against each other, and we both win. It works for me.

This is always a tough question. Really you have to decide what your market will accept. I do 2 x cost and add in packaging. I deliver for free to local accounts and add a little cushion for that. It is difficult to give you an answer as we have no idea what you use in your soap, is it mp or cp, are you using eo's or fo's, etc.. all these thing plus packaging have to be considered before coming up with your price. I buy in bulk, which cuts cost considerably but also take into consideration what my market will pay. I know what each batch cost me to make, that is key, when trying to decide how to price for wholesale. Same with candles etc... you really do have to be on top of your costs for wholesale. If I sell a bar of soap to friends for 4 dollars or 5 dollars a bar it doesn't mean that my wholesale price is 2.00 or 2.50 a bar. If you are going to do wholesale you have to make sure you are making money.

Without looking at your numbers for cost, if you sell a bar for $3.50, then you'll probably only be able to get around $2/bar for it wholesale. That's guessing based on the fact since you're selling so low, you either already buy in bulk for great prices, or you're in an area that won't allow you to sell any higher.

A store would probaby get $4.00 or $4.50. So they'd probably want to buy it for $2. That means you probably will only get a dollar or so "profit" after costs. That's lots of work for just a buck - you'll need to look into what your minimums are for an order, to make it worth it. I've seen lots of people work themselves into the ground for little profit on wholesale - it has to be beneficial to both you and the store.