what to do with this

Kristy K

I have 10 lbs of shea, 4 lbs soy oil and 4 lbs of sweet almond oil. I have been trying to sell it, but no interest. Is there some type of soap I can make that is easy to make? I am a soy candle person so no experience with soap. Willing to try.

Hmmm...well, unless you just want to make soap, easiest thing to make would probably be whipped shea butter. You'd just use the shea and a bit of the sweet almond oil (some add a pinch of cornstarch too) and whip it til it's fluffy. With Christmas just around the corner, little containers of whipped shea would make terrific gifts!

I agree, whipped shea butter is very nice.

If you do want to make soap, I think you would need to add some Palm Kernal Oil or Coconut oil in order to make a cleansing lather.

Try this recipe out

20% coconut oil or Palm Kernel Oil

30% Soybean Oil

20% Almond Sweet Oil

30% Shea Butter

Run it through the Lye calculator to find out how much water and lye to use. Start with a 2lb batch.

http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalc.asp

Thanks a lot! I bought it to make whipped shea, but I don't think it will hold long enough before I (or family) could use it. (I am no longer able to do shows, so it would be for family, friends, and personal use). If I do make it into soap, is there a shelf life?

Thanks a lot! I bought it to make whipped shea, but I don't think it will hold long enough before I (or family) could use it. (I am no longer able to do shows, so it would be for family, friends, and personal use). If I do make it into soap, is there a shelf life?

I am not sure about the shelf life thing. I think the butters and oils would go bad sitting on your shelf raw and un-used faster than it would soaped. I have soaps from almost a year ago and they havent gone bad.